CBR1100XX.org Forum

Top 3 Econo-Mods, or not...

The T-man

1) $100 diy heavier front springs

2) $10 ThrottleRocker

3) $30 diy -1T front sprocket

:cool:

Sounds like you are looking for confort so pay 26 bucks and install Buell XB Rider Pegs that lower your feet 1.5 inches. Search Buell Pegs, you'll see my posts and several others on this idea.

I have Heli Bars installed, never had stock bars so I cant really compare them. My Corbin seat is in the mail...will let you know how it does.

As far as performance, pour WD40 in the tank and paint your tires white... :lol:

JK

Josh

Rear shock shim = $0.50 at most

Slide your stock clip-ons up 3/4" = free

-1 tooth in front = $30

We kind of need to know what kind of riding you do to maximize your cheap mods. Do you want more comfort or more performance and handling?

First welcome to owning the best bike on the planet. :grin:

FREE AND IMPORTANT: adjust front and rear suspension to 35mm of sag. Do a search to learn how.

FREE: get rid of those ugly reflectors. Move lic. plate mount up and hacksaw off that monster rear fender.

$10 softer grips.

$15 Vista throttle lock.

$50 tank bra, you'll need it.

$75 (for me) VTEC VFR 800 handlebars.

$75-$100 different windscreen.

just off the top of my head.

Guest rockmeupto125

Demon said...

"Rear shock shim = $0.50 at most

Slide your stock clip-ons up 3/4" = free"

Then a $18 throttle lock.

Best $20 you'll spend on it.

For improvement of riding capacity: Hyperpro full progressive springs front and rear. I had 31 people testdriving my bike, 38 bought the set... (I had a great deal with the manufacturer).

Improvement of comfort: Corbin seat, raised clip-ons (www.gillestooling.com), and cruise control (Vista)

get rid of those ugly reflectors

What is it with you people and the prejudice bias against reflectors? They just want to shine. They are not some aftermarket things but real OEM pieces. So, lets not pass judgement since there is a place in this world for everyone. :)

Probably left the chainguard and kickstand on your bicycle when you were a kid, didn't you? :grin:

Best bang for the buck, I'm with Joe and Donnie, shim the rear, drop the front a bit.

Front springs are a good economical mod as well, assuming you weigh over 180 or so and can install them yourself.

I was lucky as my 97 came with a Corbin and a Zero Gravity windscreen. I agree as to lifting up the bars 3/4 of an inch and I moved mine in as close as I can. Most of my performance mods involve buying gas and tires and the occasional speeding ticket. :lol:

For improvement of riding capacity: Hyperpro full progressive springs front and rear. I had 31 people testdriving my bike, 38 bought the set... (I had a great deal with the manufacturer).

Improvement of comfort: Corbin seat, raised clip-ons (www.gillestooling.com), and cruise control (Vista)

When you said Hyperpro springs for the rear shock, did you mean to just replace the springs but still use the OEM shock? How much is the springs? How easy/hard to replace it at home?

When you said Hyperpro springs for the rear shock, did you mean to just replace the springs but still use the OEM shock? How much is the springs? How easy/hard to replace it at home?

Yes, I mean just the springs (and the oil in the forks). I don't know the prices in the USA, must be around $ 250 front and rear.

If you know what you are doing, able to use some tools, and have a friend helping you it is with the included instructions very well possible. If you don't do any work on your bike, forget it, or find someone who does. In total it is about 3 to 4 hours of work when you are taking it easy.

The improvement is unbelievable. It feels more like a sportbike in steering, but still comfortable!

What are the 3 most "important", noticable, and least expensive mods you have made?

performance, comfort, etc.

Most important mod (and comfort): Throttlemeister $125

Most notable: D&D slip-ons $250 (stock cans are ugly and HEAVY) Clear Alternative front lenses (stock orange is ugly)

Laser-Cut Stainless Steel Resevoir covers (just cause their cool as hell)

Least Expensive: Shim rear shock 6 mm

Have also replaced stock front springs with much stiffer springs.

Nik

1. What front springs did u put on yours?

2. Did u do it yourself?

3. How dramatic was the improvement?

1. The racetech 1.1's

2. ROTFL... Ya good one... I've been told dropping new springs in is a piece of cake... If you are going to pull them off and replace oil, etc, its more involved.

3. Bike doesn't dive as hard, and it rode MUCH higher. Cornering... The only BIG difference I noticed is ground clearance. I can't honestly say that I felt a huge difference from the front springs in cornering.. But at the same time I did the front springs, I shimmed the rear, and adjusted pre-load etc... So... Who knows what did what...

Biggest difference is I don't bottom out when I'm going around a corner and I hit a bump, or when I'm going into a corner that rises hard.

• 2 weeks later...
so shim rear, drop frint and ?

Defintely shim the rear 6mm--as covered before

Careful about dropping the front end as you will lose desparately needed ground clearance. I really dont think this is required if you shim the rear. Although relatively pricey a $430 respring/revalve would be money very well spent. My bike used to chatter something nasty really hard on the brakes--not the safest thing for emergency stops. At least do the front springs 1.1kgs sound about right for most