CBR1100XX.org Forum

RFC: your comments on Ohlins rear shocks?

testrider

Hi all,

I'm debating if I should get an Ohlins rear shock for my Xmas present.

Mine is 1997 XX. I would appreciate any comments on:

1) As the front fork is not adjustable (I just replaced the stock springs with a set of RaceTech springs but no cartridge emulator), does it make sense to have a fully adjustable rear shock? In other words, even the rear can be tune in completely, with a non-adjustable front fork, won't I only have half the solution?

2) Let's say on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being worst and 10 being a race works shock. Let's assume that Honda's OEM shock is '3', what do you rate an Ohlins shock on a XX, honestly?

I think I'm more concerned with #1 above as I'm sure an Ohlins will rate at least 4 or 5 on a 1-10 scale?

Thanks for any comments.

-mike-

1) Yes, it's worth it, but you won't see the full effect until you get some fork work done, as well.

2) 8, IMO. It's an awesome shock, especially if you get it with remote preload adjustment and height adjustment.

If the stock shock is a 3, then the Ohlins is for sure an 8.

1) As the front fork is not adjustable (I just replaced the stock springs with a set of RaceTech springs but no cartridge emulator)

FWIW dept: You already have cartridge forks on your bird, so you do not need a cartridge emulator. The forks just have no adjustments. However, the damping of the stock fork is off so far, that the limited adjustment range provided by most adjustable forks would still not fix it.

Adding heavier fork springs to your bike actually makes the damping problem worse. (the forks have to much compression damping already) If you have your forks reworked properly by someone who knows what they are doing, (Dan Kyle, Lindemann Engineering, Pettersson Pro) the lack of adjustability becomes a non issue.

I did not go with either the Gold Valves from Race Tech, or with a similar setup from Traxxion. Their theory of fork mods is to flow as much oil as possible through the valves, and use the shim stack to modify the damping. That doesn't mean they don't work as good or better than the mods done by Dan Kyle and the others, it was just my preference.

On a 1-10 scale with the stock shock at 3, I would rate the quality aftermarket shocks a 7-8. It's a matter of personal preference as to Ohlins vs. Penske. I believe that 90 percent of street riders cannot tell the difference. I would go for the lowest price, but make sure the shock you buy is set up for you. The major players in the suspension market that I listed earlier will set your shock up for your weight and riding style before they ship it to you.

After I had my bike set up (Lindemann reworked forks and Penske rear), I made sure that the sag settings were correct. (they were). Then I played a little with the compression and damping settings on the shock to see how it changed things. In the end I returned the settings to where Lindemann preset them, and just went riding.

A fellow XX-owner here in Holland, replaced his Ohlins last year for a cheaper WP-set. This made a huge improvement!

The WP is much more stabile, and does cope better with short/fast bumps. Also is is easier to adjust and a lot cheaper here (but that could be because it is a Dutch company). A lot of the GP and Superbike riders use the WP too (previously known as White Power, but they abandoned this name for obvious seasons).

Thank you for all your responses and I appreciate them very much.

I just checked out Penske's site and it didn't even list which shock is for the XX. What's the shock model number for the XX? Does it have remote preload and remote compression (is it rebound?) like the Ohlins?

How much is the Penske? I think the Ohlins is about $750.

Thanks again!

-Mike-

Mine's an Penske 8981. It has a remote reservoir with compression damping. It also has adjustable ride height, rebound damping and spring pre-load (sag) adjustments. It doesn't have a remote pre-load adjustment, but most of the Ohlins don't have a ride height adjustment. You might check out Traxxion Dynamics for pricing and availability.

I bought mine used, so I really don't know what a new shock runs. I think the Penske may be a little less expensive than Ohlins.

I bought my Penske 8981 on sale last year from Lindemann Engineering.

Just looked up the price. $665.69 including shipping.

The 8981 is considered a 2 way adjustable shock. It has compression and rebound adjustments. The compression adjustment is mounted on the remote reservoir, and the rebound on the bottom of the shock. It also comes with ride height adjustments. A 3 way adjustable shock has separate adjustments for high speed and low speed compression damping.

Here is a link for you.

http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog/defau...facturers_id=10

If you don't do track days, or Iron Butt type rides, but want to update your suspension, check out the Penske Sport Shock from Traxxion. It is the basic Penske shock body, only without the remote reservoir. There is no compression adjustment in this shock, but Traxxion pre-configures the shock for your weight and riding style. Price is reasonable, and the shock can be upgraded at any time to a 2 way or 3 way shock.

I mounted my reservoir on the left side under the grab handle. You can still get to the compression damping adjuster and it was easy. Other more energetic guys have made custom mounting brackets.

I too am considering a new rear shock. Has anyone found a hugger that fits well and doesn't rub that will protect the new shock from grime? If so what brand, where did you get it, have to modify it, etc....?

Thanx

Dan

I bought a Pyramid Plastics hugger. It seems like I had to take a rat tail file to one of the mounting holes, but it fit fine other than that. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a hugger.

I bought my Penske 8981 on sale last year from Lindemann Engineering.

Just looked up the price.  $665.69 including shipping.

The 8981 is considered a 2 way adjustable shock.   It has compression and rebound adjustments.  The compression adjustment is mounted on the remote reservoir, and the rebound on the bottom of the shock.   It also comes with ride height adjustments.     A 3 way adjustable shock has separate adjustments for high speed and low speed compression damping.

Here is a link for you.  

http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog/defau...facturers_id=10

If you don't do track days, or Iron Butt type rides, but want to update your suspension,  check out the Penske Sport Shock from Traxxion.   It is the basic Penske shock body, only without the remote reservoir.  There is no compression adjustment in this shock, but Traxxion pre-configures the shock for your weight and riding style.    Price is reasonable, and the shock can be upgraded at any time to a 2 way or 3 way shock.

Ijust looked at the picture of 8991 in the link you provided and how come the hose seems so short and it didn't seem to be able to be mounted too far away from the shock body?

I have a Hyperpro rear shock. The hydraulic remote preload adjuster fits on the inside of the left passenger foot peg and the remote compression adjuster [fast and slow] fit on the inside of the right passenger peg. Works fine but I still can't figure out what setting work best. I set it up loose for rough roads and then on smooth ones I stiffen out the damping.

Sag is easy, but how do you figure out the fast and slow compression damping rates [15 clicks] and the rebound [also 15] and how to match them :???: ?

Can anyone please tell me which HyperPro shock will fit a 2004 Bird? I'm after a shock with remote preload adjustment and compression/rebound adjustment.

I rang the Australian distributor and he said they only list an 031-041 with remote reservoir for 1996-2000 bikes. Nothing is listed for bikes after 2000. He couldn't even give me a price. The only thing he could tell me was that the shocks fitted to the latest Blades and GSXR's cost around $1,800 AUD.

For that price I'd go with Ohlins as I know I can get one here for around $1,500 AUD.

HyperPro's website is crap with no model numbers of the shocks listed and no catalogue to check which shock fits what bike.

Can anyone please provide some info? Also which spring is best, linear or progressive? HyperPro sell a progressive spring and some people are claiming they perform better than the linear rate ones like Eibach/Ohlins.

So what is the truth?

Hey Oz,

I do not know the model of the Hyperpro shock but I have a 2002 CBR1100xx [it came with hydraulic adjustable preload and compression damping and rebound damping at the bottom of the shock] and when I installed it I got 12.5mm [1/2"] greater rear clearance at the wheel bolt when fully extended on the centre stand. When I ordered the rear shock, I filled out a form that listed my different riding weights 94-205kgs [from solo to 2 up and full bags]. They gave me a progressive spring that is 16-28 kg/mm [184-330 lbs/in I think]. I like this because I can wind in 35mm of sag and still have it firm up on uneven roads.

Re: Price, I bargained with them and got a price a lot cheaper than the Ohlins. They asked me not to say how much I paid-so I won't.

I also got the front fork springs which are progressive and are about 15 mm longer than the stock ones so there is some preload in them. I get 27mm sag with me on the bike and 29mm with it fully loaded. I really don't need an adjustable preload on the front with these sags.

For touring, I like progressive rate springs since I can make it slightly softer for smooth roads and yet have it stiffen up on rough ones.

BTW: I was wrong on the total number of clicks- there are 30 total for each damping adjuster.

TimXX