CBR1100XX.org Forum

MILEAGE?

aholexx

I DO ALOT OF LONG DISTANCE RIDES... AND CAN'T TRUST THE GAS GAUGE...

I KNOW IF YOU KEEP IT UNDER 5000 RPM'S IT INCREASE'S MILEAGE, BUT THE FUEL LIGHT COMES ON BETWEEN 150-160 MILES..

WITH THE LIGHT ON, I RODE UNTIL I HIT 185 MILES AND STOPPED FOR FUEL... IT TOOK 5.5 GALS.(tank holds 6.5 I think)

LOOKING FOR A REPAIR WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE PUMP ASSEMBLY..

Gas mileage is a function of a LOT of things.

Speed, weight, wind resistance, air temperature, clean plugs, age of oil all play into it.

I can, when riding on the interstate, etc, get 200 miles to a tank, even with my Corbin's on and full. However, when it's cold, or when I've been making lots of high speed runs, or when I'm out riding the twisties, I get about 150 before it flashes, and usually gas up at 175. Most it's ever taken is 5.5 gallons. The tank is 6.3, so there's LOTS more to go.

Nothings broke as far as I can tell, so don't sweat it.

Oh.. and fix your caps lock key. That's considered YELLING AT PEOPLE AND IS REALLY RUDE!!!

Guest rockmeupto125

If you are looking for a gas gauge that works perfectly to the half cup or whatever on a vehicle that changes angle left/right and front/rear second by second..........you are going to be looking a long time.

Plus, there's almost a quart of space in that tank that is inaccessible to the pump. Emptying a tank off the bike requires a siphon hose and then sopping up the gas inside with cloth. So while the tank has that capacity....its not "usable" capacity.

Take two kerosene camping bottles and fill them with gas, then ride till she dies. You'll be surprised how far you get after it STOPS blinking.

Whether you have carbs or FI makes a big difference too.

Somehow "old tech" carb bikes gets better milage.Between fuel injected Honda, Yamaha, Kaw, and Suzuki red winged bikes bet the worse milage and on/off throttle is the worse.Honda should admit defeat and put secong set of throttles like everybody else.

That is twin butterflies for each inlet tract, one set of b/flies operated by the rider (as usual) the other set by the ECU.

If I remember well Suzuki used it first in the previous GSXR 750.

But this setup is used to eliminate the jerkiness when you are on/of the throttle not to lower fuel con/tion.

Mileage improves with a PC and dyno time with a gas analyser.

Hmmm... I get about 180 befor the light comes on, and the most I have ever put in my tank was 5.96 gallons.

Is that at altitude, Eric?

I did 200 miles solo, once. Running a decent pace, but no quick starts or very high speed runs. Just 85mph sweepers mile after mile.

I've also gone less than 120 on a tank :oops: Those corners were a little slower, and required a little more throttle. :wink:

Nope that wouldn't help in this situation.

I spent alot of money just to find out I can't fix the Mileage problem.

You see I bought a Wide Band Commander, and found that the problem is when you maintian throttle possition when going down a hill and the Motor is unloaded.

When that happens, which is more often than you think, the ECU heavily richens the fuel mixture (11.9:1). The Carbed bikes have just the opposite happen, they go lean.

Also it's funny, and worth mentioning, that when on a FI bird, and you maintian throttle possition and slightly dog or overload the motor by pulling a little hill or rise. The FI bird will go very lean (17:1)

So.... when you find someone that can identify and remap the stock ECU to correct this problem.... let me know.

That is twin butterflies for each inlet tract, one set of b/flies operated by the rider (as usual) the other set by the ECU.

If I remember well Suzuki used it first in the previous GSXR 750.

But this setup is used to eliminate the jerkiness when you are on/of the throttle not to lower fuel con/tion.

Mileage improves with a PC and dyno time with a gas analyser.

Single throttle systems a known for jerkiness,standard precedure to cure this is to make small throttle openings rich,this way motor is somewhat slow to respond but fells smother in on/off transition.But you pay the price in the fuel economy during normal crusing speeds.