CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front end revalved and new springs

scubajohn

Ok I am thinking about having my front end revalved and stiffer springs. Seeing as Racetec is in corona 10 minutes from me would I be better off taking it to them and letting them do the work? Do they do that or do they just sell the parts ?

Anyone have them do it and what would be a reasonable cost to buying all the parts and having them install it all ?

Thanks for any feedback

They do it, but why pay them if you can do it yourself? It took me a total of about 5 hours from walking into the garage to the test ride up Deer Creek canyon...and thats because I'd never had the BBird forks apart before. The second fork took about half the time of the first, and I think if I did another set I could finish up in about 2.5 hours for the pair.

Take your time, drill the Race-Tech valves the night before (takes about 5 minutes), and definitely use the 5 weight oil. Piece of cake.

Bryan...you'll like the results...

Ya I have thought about doing it and I do all the normal maintance things on the bike and have had a few HiPo cars that I have done alot of work to. Lowered,Fully automatic N20 system exausts brakes blah blah blah :) its just a bit more intimidating knowing if you mess it up you could DIE :) heheh.

But then again do I trust some shop monkey more than myself.

Flyv65,

I jsut ordered the Racetech kit for my 97XX, its supposed to be here Tuesday. You mentioned drilling the valves, why do you have to drill the valves? I thought if I ordered the kit specifically for the XX, I wouldn't have to do any more than instal them. What's the story?

Thanks for the help.

HI Tom,

did you get a good price on the RT kit? If I remember, best available was around msrp. Just put the springs in mine today, huge difference, Bel-Ray 7w, haven't got the valve kits yet.

Did you get your Ohlins on? How do you like it? Like others have mentioned, mine took a bit to break in, but noticed a big improvement right off.

Francis

I put the Ohlins on last night, works great!! Much smoother than the original. Not as harsh. I can't wait to get the forks done!!

flk, I'll try calling you this weekend. I'll get the data on the Ferry system for you.

It turns out that the same compression/rebound valves for our 'birds are also used on a number of other bikes, including the GSXR750.

The valve buypass ports get drilled to different diameters based on how aggressively you ride (street rider? drill 1.3mm; track junkies and more aggressive braking on the street would use 1.0mm). The hardest part about drilling the valves is finding those damn small bits (try Ace Hardware). Seriously, it's no big deal...you're just drilling one hole in the side of each valve-and as long as you're on the correct side of the seal it doesn't matter where you drill.

Bryan...c'mon guys, if I can do it, you can...b

I got the Race Tech parts and there was a bag of washers/spacers that was open and only 3 washers/spacers lying in the bottom of the box. Anybody know how many was supposed to be in there? I will call tomorrow and find out, but thought I would ask now seeing as it is bugging me.

When I bought my valve kit(s), they came with a "shitload" of the bigger, thicker shims-more than enough to properly shim at least one set of valves...although I hasd to use two of the 'Bird's shims to finish the job on the second set of valves.

I just figured that was because I was setting the valves at C38 for the shim stack...

Bryan...at C36 and dropping...