CBR1100XX.org Forum

Draggin fairings

TOXXIC

I thought Alanb and others told me they have dragged their fairings in corners, due to lean angle.

When I was swapping out my lower side panels I noticed scuffs and scrapes due to leaning over too far.

Anyone found a way to eliminate this headache? I tried shimming my shock a while back, but according to some, I may have put the shims in the wrong place......I put the shims under the top nut as it comes throught the sub-frame.

The shims should go inbetween the upper shock mount, and the frame (above the mount, below the frame), which would effectively raise the back end of the bike, and give you more cornering clearance.

Replacing the front springs will also help, as the front end won't dive as much in the turns.

Once I set static sag at 1 1/2" front and rear......

Totally agree, setting the sag properly front and back will help alot. I'm about 220lbs, I added a turn and a half in back, and went with Racetech 1.0 front springs with approx. 120mm spacers for just over 30mm sag front and back. My tires are worn to the edges, most I've ever touched down is the peg feelers, and that rarely.

I thought Alanb and others told me they have dragged their fairings in corners, due to lean angle.

When I was swapping out my lower side panels I noticed scuffs and scrapes due to leaning over too far.  

Anyone found a way to eliminate this headache?  I tried shimming my shock a while back, but according to some, I may have put the shims in the wrong place......I put the shims under the top nut as it comes throught the sub-frame.

How would they raise the ridi.... n/m ...

wrong place like they said ! They go UNDER the frame. Undo the nut, remove top shock mount. Put shim on top mount then put though the hole ! As for rubbing fairing. I'll show some pics... if you are rubbing fairing, your playing with a crash ! TRUST ME I KNOW !

Start with getting the right springs front and rear (ie getting the sag right - which you can't do for the Average Rider over here without changing the springs). Lifting the rear of the bike won't decrease scraping that much. Because of the angles that it induces, it normally causes the front of the fairing to want to touch down more, and the rear less. If you want the bike to scrape less in general, you have to raise both the front and rear of the bike.

But, as the others said - if you are scraping the fairings road riding expect to have a crash sooner rather than later. You're pushing yourself far beyond what you should be doing on the road, not to mention you are riding in such a style that you have close to zero capacity to deal with changing circumstances. Something comes up on a corner that you couldn't see, a deer or pile of dirt, and you're screwed as you cannot lean the bike any further, and you aren't in a position to be able to muscle the bike to stand up go around the obstacle and pull back in the, now tighter radius required, corner. Get to a track school and learn how to hang off the bike and ride compentantly.

Thanks for the input.

Actually I believe the fairing scrapings were caused by performing low speed "U" turns while leaning the bike, and looking over my shoulder.

Mith, thanks for your faith in my riding ability............... :lol::lol:

learn how to hang off the bike and ride compentantly

Oh, and I forgot Tim. If you see a silver XX south flying down the I-5 this afternoon between 1530 and 1630 between Seattle and Olympia - please look the other way. I have no idea who the rider is or why they are heading south to Portland for dinner and then heading north again.... :cool:

Justin,

You've got a get out of jail free pass with me................just watch out for the WSP boys. Most of the Troopers in the South Sound are pretty good guys/gals....................most! :lol:

Dragging fairings, me? Ummm, ok, once or twice, but not TOO regularly. I had a close call last year due to NO reserve, and I've since slowed down quite a bit. I suddenly didn't feel 100% invulnerable to harm for some reason. Funny how a near head-on with a car at 50 will do that to you!!

Alan

'no mas fer me' when my peg feeler thingys start dragging, i definitely exceeded my safety margin envelope for the street, time to back 'er off a bit. too many unknowns when u r so very vulnerable when hooked over that far. way too many things can go wrong (surface changes, unseen slippery spots, decreasing radius turns, blind to side action opposite of cornering direction, etc.) and way too many immovable objects (cars, guard rails, signs, gutters, etc.) to collide with when it does go wrong.

Tim, your blessings worked. Went past many Polizei but all were already busy taking care of other drivers. :grin: Coming home and I'm cruising along at about 85 in a 70, there's an on-ramp and a car coming down it. Pull over to the left lane but as I'm checking the mirrors I notice a set of headlights gaining on me, so I pin the throttle, go around the in-coming car and back off again into the right lane. Notice in the reflections as it goes past that its a WSP car. Didn't even look at me. I mustn't have been there :wink:

Start with getting the right springs front and rear (ie getting the sag right - which you can't do for the Average Rider over here without changing the springs). Lifting the rear of the bike won't decrease scraping that much. Because of the angles that it induces, it normally causes the front of the fairing to want to touch down more, and the rear less. If you want the bike to scrape less in general, you have to raise both the front and rear of the bike.

But, as the others said - if you are scraping the fairings road riding expect to have a crash sooner rather than later. You're pushing yourself far beyond what you should be doing on the road, not to mention you are riding in such a style that you have close to zero capacity to deal with changing circumstances. Something comes up on a corner that you couldn't see, a deer or pile of dirt, and you're screwed as you cannot lean the bike any further, and you aren't in a position to be able to muscle the bike to stand up go around the obstacle and pull back in the, now tighter radius required, corner. Get to a track school and learn how to hang off the bike and ride compentantly.

Actually raisng the rear 6mm(at the shock--raises the rear about 12mm)-helps eliminate all of my scraping--both on the headers (Akra) and the side fairings--I agree ideally you want the proper springs front/rear, but for a "quick-fix" the added spacers actually help A TON with the stock suspension