CBR1100XX.org Forum

Long shot RV question

bajjer9

I know this might be a long shot so here goes...I have a new water heater in my RV trailer...when the burner ignites it blows out the pilot light...the manufacturer tells me i need to call a service person instead of giving me advice over the phone...I cannot afford to pay some redneck 65 bucks an hour plus travel to come take a look at it...anyone that can offer a suggestion or two?

Guest rockmeupto125

How about..........hook it up and drag it back where you bought the water heater?

I'd see if there is an adjustment on your pilot......flame might just be a little weak.

That said, I'm really surprised that there's a pilot light on a new RV heater. You'd think they would bend over backwards to 1. have no flame in the camper, and 2. conserve gas.

i bought it online...cant drag it anywhere unless someone has a class 3 hitch for a blackbird...it was to replace the one that went out 3 years ago...pilot seems good...nice blue flame about half ince to 3/4 inch long in my gestimation...thermoccouple dead center of the flame as well... :(

Guest rockmeupto125

Okay....the burner blows out the pilot.

Either there is too much gas igniting at the start, or the pilot is too weak somehow.

Pretty difficult to guess, as there's several different types of burner units. I wonder if the pipe from the pilot to the burner head could use more angle or something of that sort.

Guest rockmeupto125

I was laboring under the concept that the "whoosh" of the burner igniting was just blowing the pilot out, not that all flame was out. I think he'd best clarify......

Joe and Nick are both on the right track if you ask me...

sounds like you have a poor fresh air problem...

try lighting the tank with a window or a door open on the camper...

the problem could be that when it first ignites, it needs to draw in alot of extra air upon fire up, and when this happens it can actually draw air in through the exghuast vent and blow out the pilot.

Been there... done that.

Sometimes poeple build stuff to tight. Think about it this way, for all the air you have going out of the camper as exghaust, you have to have fresh air coming in somewhere else.

I was laboring under the concept that the "whoosh" of the burner igniting was just blowing the pilot out, not that all flame was out. I think he'd best clarify......

This is more or less whats happening...with the majority of the time the pilot going out...the pilot flame is a good, strong, blue flame with the thermo couple directly in the center of the flame so I can rule out pilot positioning...the "woosh" of the burner igniting is what I am wondering about...what causes this? too much fuel...too much air/oxygen...I am wondering if the LP pressure might have something to do with it?...its definately not a vent problem as everything is accessed from outside and I watch it happening with the door open

Guest rockmeupto125

Okay....follow me.

There is a steady small flow of gas to the pilot, which remains continually lit. When the thermostat says "I'm too cold" the gas valve opens, gas is released to the burner, then runs down a pilot tube to get to the pilot flame. The pilot flame ignites the thin stream of gas...the flame propagates to the gas being released from the burner, and viola, its lit. The thermocouple cuts the gas flow if its not heated within a reasonable time---to prevent gas from filling up your house or trailer and making spectacular fireworks when the fridge or dehumidifier turn on.

With that, I see one of three things.

1. The angle on the pilot tube is too shallow, or something is blocking it..a cinder or some type of crud. It takes the gas too long to reach the flame...allowing a buildup of gas in the area of the burner. When its finally ignited, the excess of gas produces a larger flash and rush of displaced air that blows out the pilot. You might watch to see if the ignition flash is excessive, or if it takes a bit of time before the burner ignites.

2. The pilot flame is weak.....due to a restriction in the jet or tubing that supplies the pilot.

3. The valve is letting too much gas through on the main burner circuit, producing a big flash and blast that blows out the pilot. Either the valve is defective, or your heater was inappropriately supplied with natural gas jets. If that's the case, it would flow way more fuel than it should, and is a real fire hazard. Verify that the jets in your heater are indeed for LP gas, not natural gas.

Just thought I would let you all know the solution...sit down cuz its amazing...the solution was...drum roll please...move the pilot CLOSER to the main burner output...I just bent the mounting "L" bracket to point the pilot closer to the burner,now the gas doesnt build up in the chamber thus no explosion to blow out the pilot...quite simple isnt it?...and the manufacturer wanted me to call a service tech!!! HA!