CBR1100XX.org Forum

front fork lifts

rayrowe

Be careful with the front lifts that use the steering head bearings. Our fairings are fairly low and narrow at the opening and a lot of them won't work without removing the fairings. I usually use the centerstand and a jack with a piece of wood on it under the oil pan, no problems yet. If you want to be more stable, place a piece of lumber like a 2 x 4 or 1 x 6 under your centerstand with the wood a couple feet wider on each side. Put an eye bolt in the wood and use a strap on each side of the bike hooked into the eyes to stabilize things a bit.

Would a lift that uses the steering stem be best?

No,some brilliant young Japanease engineer ( who I have no doubt has never got his hands dirty by wrenching) placed the horn right under the steering stem.

To expand on Demon's idea, what if you put your bike on the centerstand, on a sheet of plywood with 2 eyebolts at the rear and used cinch straps to pull the rear down and raise the front off the ground?

There's always the eyebolts in the roof joists way also.

A lot of the time I use the garage door rails to hold my tank up without having to disconnect the fuel lines. Actually didn't think of the eye bolts in the studs in the celing yet :grin: I find ways to do things easy as possible with what I have to work with.

i made a lift for the front or rear. its a stand the goes over the bike and i use a tiedown strap to lift the bike up. this is kind of the same as hoisting from the ceiling only i can move it around to get it in position.

i used 1" pipe with threaded ends and some pipe elbows and tees. it cost me about $80 bucks total at home depot. once i got it together i welded the pipes so they would not loosen. finished it sort of looks like a clothes rack. i would post a pic but i don't have a new photo host since photoisland went down. if you want one i could email it just pm me.

Hi guys , this is my first post.

Regarding work in the front end -for e.g. front fork oil change- (which is big trouble in street bikes & especially the B Bird) I found a quite easy and inexpensive way. In order to support the bike, I used and old 175/14' car wheel (with a tire). You only have to put the bird on its centerstand lift the front and slide half way the tire from the LHS (so the bike rests on the tire). The front lower and maybe the headers sit on the tire and as long as you are gentle while working everything is fine. I have not used bigger tire but I suppose anything up to 205 is ok.

If you want may be I can post some photos.

PS: Nice president you've got again

Thanks. The majority of voters thought so too

Point taken... but then again, do you need a reminder of what the majority of Germans thought in the 30's for a guy named Adolf?

Pit Bull all the way. You can reposition your horn to use the stem stand, which is important if you ever have to remove your forks.

Ditto on the Pit Bulls; I love my set. I haven't repositioned the horn, but I don't find it to be much of a pain to take it off when I need to do front end work; it only takes a couple of minutes.