CBR1100XX.org Forum

Various low-carb/no-carb candy reviews

One of the things people say they miss is satisfying a sweet tooth. Well, I've found a lot of GREAT candy options lately. I've been eating more chocolate on this diet than in my whole life (I actually never liked chocolate, but like most of the no-sugar type--go figure).

Post your reviews and comments here.

Pure De-Lite Truffle Bar

Amazing. On par with any expensive chocolate. I think it's sweeter than the Godiva stuff which I don't like as much. Made from Belgian chocolate with amazing fillings.

Price is decent at Wal-mart.

Pure De-Lite Caramel Pecan Bar

Excellent. You'd never know you were eating diet food. Belgian chocolate and a completely convincing caramel filling.

Reasonable price at Wal-mart.

Fifty 50 extra thick chocolate bars

A very good traditional straight chocolate bar. Available with or without almonds. Does not taste fake. Not as wonderful as the De-Lite products, but costs less (much larger portion).

i tried the carbolite candy bars. the chocolate with almonds is good. the caramel nougat bar is palatable, just barely.

i have a question about the carb content of these. should we be looking at (and staying away from) total carbs? or just sugar carbs. these bars contain up to 20g total carbs (the caramel nougat). dietary fiber 1g, sugars 0g & sugar alcohols 19g. should we stay away from the sugar alcohol carbs???

Sugar alcohols DO NOT count. Look at the "net effective carbs" which all these have on them, usually on the front in a circle. Maltitol, Hydrolysate, Sucralose, and the other so-called "sugar alcohols" do not have any effect on blood sugar, so they don't count.

Some packages don't have the "net effective carbs" label, and don't seperate out the sugar alcohols. In this case they usually show the amount of the specific ingredient, so you need to know what they are. Usually though they will say "sugar free" on them. Just watch for other sneaky carbs like flour, corn, corn starch, etc.

• 1 month later...

"Bad sugar" as in aspartame? I try to avoid "loading up" on aspartame, but I'm not going to sweat eating a bit of the stuff. It won't hurt in small quantities. To be honest, I've read very little of the Atkins stuff, but found that he was a bit on the fanatical side about certain things. Like caffeinne and alcohol. Fuck him, I drink coffee and alcohol the same as I always did, doesn't hurt any more than it ever did.

• 4 weeks later...

Russell Stover Pecan carmel turtles, Excellent.

Carbolite sour citrus slices. Excellent

Jelly Belly sugar free jelly beans. Excellent

Baskin and Robbins sugar free smooth and creamy hard candies. Excellent

Russel stover sugar free toffee's. Excellent

I had all of the carbolite chocolate, its icky.

Redd