CBR1100XX.org Forum

Handy guide to Suspension setup (per Army of Darkness)

BDAZ XX

This is right out of Road racing world, written by Team AOD on suspension set up.

Bike turns too slow or runs wide at exits or requires significant force on handlbars

Lower front end (usually in 3mm steps) of if you are in a hurry, remove a line or two on the preload adjuster on the front. If you lower the front, double check the mechanical bottoming.

Raise the rear by adding ride height. Remember that on most sportbikes 3mm oat the shock is about 6mm at the axel.

Bike is nervous mid-turn, particularly in fast sweepers

Raise front end. If this makes the bike turn too slowly, try raising rear as well.

Bike head shakes beyond acceptable limit

Raise front end or lower back end.

Bike head shakes on deceleration

Check/adjust steering head bearings. (also could be bad front tire)

Bike steers well in single turns but steers too slowly in quick transitions (R-L-R)

Lower both ends of the bike equal amounts or lower center of gravity some other way or work out more, you big sissy!

Bike dives too much on brakes, too easily lifts rear wheel

Add fork oil, add compression damping to forks, raise front or lower rear.

Bike's rear wheel chatters at entrance to slow turns

Rider should slip the clutch into the turn after the downshift or buy a slipper clutch.

Front end chatters

Add rebound damping to forks (or check to make sure you dont have too much damping) or try different front tire.

Or your Colin Edwards :lol:

Bike doesnt have rear grip

Check free sag, try softer rear spring, try less low-speed compression daming, lower rear of bike, make sure the rider isn't entering the rutn too slowly and try to accelerate to hard to make up for it, make sure rider is hanging off the bike.

This months? I've got to go back and reread it.
This is right out of Road racing world, written by Team AOD on suspension set up.

November issue. It is much more detailed and an awesome read then it breaks down to what I wrote/copied almost verbatum. :wink:

Nice tips, Randy!

Bike head shakes on deceleration

Check/adjust steering head bearings. (also could be bad front tire)

Been saying this for a long time, but people still don't listen.... :roll:

Army of Darkness Racing is just so totally cool... :twisted:

All black race-bikes:

prettyAODbike.jpg

aodmcll.jpg

All black transport rigs:

aodTrailer.jpg

Pit tents maintain the color theme:

PitsNFMP.jpg

And, of course, all black T-shirts (gotta get me one of these! :twisted: )

barcelona.jpg

Hey, gals can got a AOD shirt, too...

marian1.jpg

Lame-o web site you can score the tshirts:

http://www.armyofdarkness.com/

Sweet pics WC. AOD is and has been a top level racing team for a few years. Actually winning or 2nd this last year in the endurance racing championship back east, there Co-team is called "Neighbor of the beast endurance team". I guess they like to keep it Gothic. :roll:

Although all of the AOD info above it all true and valuable, Take Note:

A word of warning---different bikes react somewhat differently---I would consult an expert on your bike first

For Example: "03 GSXR1---every meat head and their little brother---was jacking up the rear, and having serious stability issues---then some of thev really fast guys started flatenning them----they work much better "flat" due to the increased steering head angle inplemented in '03

Example 2: CBR1000RR---this bike also wants to be ridden very flat. Ken Hill helped me set mine up, riased the front forks 10mm from stock---who would have thought.

Example 3: the XX---seems to respond well to "conventional" rear raising--but I would high unrecomend lowering the front as the bike is already pretty gound clearnce challenged

Example 3: the XX---seems to respond well to "conventional" rear raising--but I would high unrecomend lowering the front as the bike is already pretty gound clearnce challenged

Ditto here :)

Uhm, just a word here. Unless you are wrapping used rubber around your rims, and the guys at the shop say, "DAAAAAAMN!!!" when you ride in, ya might wanna leave it stock and learn to ride it first. I can still keep up and/or pass everyone I ride with on my 'Bird with stock suspension and Dunlops. All this info is for either professional riders, or wannabees. As long as the head isn't shaking or some otherwise unsafe condition, take note that people whom ride faster than you or me set it up from the factory. Your milage may vary. Carry on..

I can still keep up and/or pass everyone I ride with on my 'Bird with stock suspension and Dunlops.

I hate to ruin your day but that only means that you and your buddies are sloooooow :lol::lol::lol:

There are guys on this forum who have dedicated track/race bikes and very fast.

Uhm, just a word here. Unless you are wrapping used rubber around your rims, and the guys at the shop say, "DAAAAAAMN!!!" when you ride in, ya might wanna leave it stock and learn to ride it first. I can still keep up and/or pass everyone I ride with on my 'Bird with stock suspension and Dunlops. All this info is for either professional riders, or wannabees. As long as the head isn't shaking or some otherwise unsafe condition, take note that people whom ride faster than you or me set it up from the factory. Your milage may vary. Carry on..

Yeah, the bike might not be faster, but turn-in effort is definitely reduced, as is control in the turns.

If you can't feel how shitty the stock suspension is, you obviously aren't riding it hard enough, or are too dumb to know any different.

New suspension really improves ride quality. An aftermarket shock dramatically changed the ride on my XX. Most bumps went from "ouch" to "was that a bump?". Suspension mods are not just for going faster.

I must admit though, I raised the rear and do enjoy the quicker turn in. ( I may be the quickest old fart you know. :lol: ) Now I need to mod my forks with new springs, valves, oil, etc.

The shock shims are the best bang for the buck that you can do for your bird. Best half hour you can spend with your bike.

I can tell that the stock suspension is somewhat lacking and I ain't no professional racer. I can outride some of the people I ride with and I can't outride some of the people that I ride with, and I admit it. If you can outrun the people I ride with on a bird, you need a factory ride. It's pretty hard to keep up with 1K gixxers, R1's, R6's, and other "pure" sportbikes on a bike that outweighs them by 100 lbs. Your friends must suck.