CBR1100XX.org Forum

rear shock

hjacobs

If you're not absolutely sure it will fit, then don't buy it.

The 900RR shocks 93-95 will definitely work, but we are unsure of others.

Center to center of the shock bolts should be 12.5", and you could use that for a measurement, too. Only problem with a different shock may be finding a spring that would work on the XX.

Although, finding the racetech 16kg spring for the RR shock is proving to be a feat, itself. :roll:

Does the 900RR 93-95 shock work directly? Is there any modifications required? What about spring, is it strong enough, etc, etc, etc. Going to have to replace mine in a year or so, so I want to keep my options open.

This data used to be posted, but was lost when the database died. I am copying this from an article that was written by Carlos (Swampnut)

Shock

The early and mid CBR900RR's had the same length shock as the XX does. This means you can transplant a shock very simply--it's just a bolt-on. However, the spring from the 900 is far too light. RaceTech steps in with a spring that is still not as stiff as I'd like, but very close. The spring has to be replaced by someone with a press or heavy-duty spring compressor. In one case, one of our readers made his own. This may be an option, but there is some danger involved and you'll need a couple of odd pieces of metal. I preferred to have a local dealer do it for me for $30.

Once you have the right spring on there, the swap is simple and is detailed in the service manual. You'll then need to mount the remote reservoir. I found that it ended up right next to a very large wiring harness, so I zip-tied it to the harness. This results in a solid mount where it is accessible for adjustment but up out of the way.

I bought the 900 shock from a local shop for $50. Many others have reported paying anywhere from $50 to $125, which is still reasonable. You will need a shock from a '93-'95 model; the later years won't fit. This will carry one of the following part numbers:

MWO-003

MWO-0132A

MWO-0132B

MAE-0032B

The Showa part numbers starting with "MAS" are the wrong part and will not fit (it is 3/4" too short).

And here is a little more info from a later article.

Ok, we did some tuning today. When you read this, keep in mind I'm 220 and I have the Beetle Bags on my bike (17 pounds) with about 10 pounds of stuff in them. This applies with the suspension modifications which are detailed here.

Unfortunately, the rear spring is still just on the soft side (at least for my riding style), though it's the stiffest that RaceTech makes. I'm waiting to talk to Traxxion Dynamics about what they have. RaceTech recommends a 16.5 kg/mm spring, but only makes up to a 16.0 spring. So I have the preload set to max (7) and would still like a higher rate.

The rear damping settings are probably going to seem odd, but I swear this is what makes the compression and rebound even and about right. Rebound is 1/4 turn from full soft, and compression is 1/4 turn from full hard. This was double-checked by a very experienced shop owner and racer, so it's not just me going nuts. The rebound might be a *little* soft, but probably not even by 1/4 turn. I need to ride it a bit more. Having the compression right has made a huge difference in accelerating out of corners (or acceleration in general), and wheelies.

I definitely need more ride height in the rear. I'd say 3/8-1/2 inch. I never got a call back from the people who make the height adjusters. I might try again, or might just stack a few washers under the mount. I could lower the front, but I already scrape pegs too often.

The stock 900RR shock spring is WAY to soft. (The stock 1100XX spring is to long) RaceTech no longer has any of the 16.0 Springs available, but someone did find another shop who still had a few of theses springs available. Hopefully, someone will add that information in another post.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that was me. I found the required spring at an outfit called 'Circuit One Racing' in California. They make their own springs and just happened to have one left in a corner somewhere. I had tried to get with them to see if they would make more for us here on an 'as needed' basis, but they haven't gotten back with me yet. I got it for a steal at $80.

BTW, I got my '95 900RR shock on ebay for $42 bucks!!

That is what I am proposing to them. I made sure to emphasize the size of our group and that it is getting increasingly difficult (if not impossible) to find the proper springs for our most common mod. By agreeing to supply us they pretty much have the total market to themselves. The sales guy I spoke to seemed interested but he had to run it by the big dogs first.

I'm dying for something like this. My spring is definitely too soft for any hard riding. Bottomed it out several times this weekend just throwing the bike hard from one side to the other on tight corners.

If that gets ya, have I got a story for you!!

I had just put the new shock on and (being the genius that I am) checked the chain tension and NEVER ADJUSTED THE PRELOAD!! I noticed it was a little smooth but I assumed it was because of the new shock. My brother and I went riding on some back country roads and towards the end I thought I would crank down on her a bit. I ws rolling along at about 125-130 and I hit an asphalt repair patch that dropped the road about 1 1/2-2 inches. This is not uncommon on these old roads so It didn't even phase me. A few miles later on we stopped and my brother caught up to me with wide open eyes. He watched it happen. The rear had almost bottomed out. I never fealt it hit, but it was REAL close. Anyway, my fender is gone and my license plate is relocated way higher than normal. Its almost tucked inside the tail. My tire had come up so high that it had caught the plate and bent it in in the shape of the tire! It had also ripped out one of the plate hanger bolts (the ones with the little reflectors). We went to my brothers house and I straightened it out with a rubber mallet (the TRUE motorcycle mechanics weapon of choice) and bolted the plate back securelly. We also set everything up better for my weight. It was only all the way soft and we ended up upping it I think 5 notches!! I still don't have it all sorted right but at least it won't bottom again!!