CBR1100XX.org Forum

I installed lower pegs on my XX tonight

JB4XX

Ordered a set of Buel XB9 Rider pegs from local HD dealer and installed them tonight. WOW What a difference just sitting on it in the garage. I will report any clearence problems after a couple rides. May have to remove the curb feelers.peg5.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

Please forgive me for the dirty bike, I havent cleaned it up after all the riding this past weekend. I had to grind off less than 1/8 inch of metal as the Buell pegs have thicker mounts. I also bored out the blackbirds mounts to accept the thicker Buell mounting pins. peg1.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

Buel Part #N0006.1AD Rider footpegs for XB Models. The dealer will think it is 25.60 for one peg put that is for the pair, dont order two.

I ground down the peg mounts with bench grinder on top and dremel tool on bottom to try to take equal amounts to fit the Honda mount. The dremel was not very effective as it took a long time and the aluminum just attached itself to the bits. I used a 7/16 drill bit to enlarge the blackbirds mounts and bought mounting pins from local hardware store for two bucks. I did have to notch the peg to give the brake lever room. Any more questions PM me.

Comfy looking setup. If you ever want to switch back to stock pegs, all you would have to do is drill them out to fit the pin dia. if you have enough meat on them to hold sufficiently. I went the other way with mine. I'm back about an inch and about two inches higher. My tires will be off the ground and the cases will be dragging before I touch a peg down.

Went for a ride this evening and noted the following: Very confortable to have the extra leg room

I am not a knee dragger but still may remove the curb feelers

I returned home after the first 5 miles to adjust the brake and shifter. They were too far to reach. I used up the adjustment in the brake pedal.

My foot rests on the kickstand "peg". Not sure if I will grind it down or get used to it yet. I'll wait until I get more riding in to see if it is a problem.

I have been riding for only 3 years and have only ridden a VT750 Shadow ACE with highway pegs and 45 horsepower. I bought the Blackbird in August of this year after riding with a buddy with one and have him wait at every stop sign for me.

I think the helibars and pegs have made this a quite confortable sport touring machine with over 150 dynoed rear wheel horsepower! Blackbirds kick ass and so does this message board!

ec_12_s.JPG

Went for a ride this evening and noted the following: Very confortable to have the extra leg room

I am not a knee dragger but still may remove the curb feelers

I returned home after the first 5 miles to adjust the brake and shifter. They were too far to reach. I used up the adjustment in the brake pedal.

My foot rests on the kickstand "peg". Not sure if I will grind it down or get used to it yet. I'll wait until I get more riding in to see if it is a problem.

I'm glad it just wasn't me!!! I finally cut the tab off of the kickstand. It wouldn't bend and it looked like it was about to snap after beating on it with my little hand maul! :shock: Once that tab was outta the way, the shifting got easier. To keep the kickstand from hitting the left peg, I got a simple stick-on clear rubber bumper (the kind one puts on household stuff to keep from scratching the furniture). It doen't need to be very thick and the kickstand now stands off from the peg.

Hey Joe... What part of the threaded rod do you cut (on the rear brake M/C)??? I'm at a loss on that one. Is it the part that goes up under the rubber boot? :?:

Comfy looking setup. If you ever want to switch back to stock pegs, all you would have to do is drill them out to fit the pin dia. if you have enough meat on them to hold sufficiently. I went the other way with mine. I'm back about an inch and about two inches higher. My tires will be off the ground and the cases will be dragging before I touch a peg down.

did you use the buell pegs upsidedown, or something else. Gotta pic by any chance?

RAASK rearsets. They come with everything to relocate your rear master cylinder and a rod style shifter. The only thing stock about my front pegs are the two allen bolts on each side holding the rearsets on the frame.

heh $458.70 vs $25.60

I know which ones I would go for...damn I wished I had 500 bucks just sitting around that I could spare...wanna give me a loan Demon? :lol:

cheers demon - i got a slightly different problem that can be solved by raising the pegs - a new one piece with knee protectors so big i can't fit behind the fairing anymore. Sliders are ok, they poke out the side, but dainese put these sewn-in pads that run up the shins to the knee and it's a bit of a tight squeeze!

• 4 months later...

I ordered a set of Buell pegs today. If they are half as effective as I read here they will be worth it. I ordered from Surdyke Buell online. With shipping they were less than $28 on sale.

I ordered a set of Buell pegs today. If they are half as effective as I read here they will be worth it. I ordered from Surdyke Buell online. With shipping they were less than $28 on sale.

If you need any help, PM me!

Your legs will thank you for this cheap mod!

Guest rockmeupto125
Will buying a set of the cheap aftermarket sets lower the pegs enough??

As aposed to buying and moding  the hd..

Just looking for about an inch down?

No. Slim aftermarket pegs will lower between 1/4 and 1/2 inch due to the nature of their construction and lack of peg rubbers. They will be buzzier as well, and add to fatigue.

**51'er.......what exactly did you feel the problem was with the Lockhart pegs?