CBR1100XX.org Forum

I'm Pete and I used WD-40.

Pete in PA

I hadn't lubed my chain in a while and went on a ride Sunday.

I have already learned that I can tell when the chain needs lubed while decellerating. I feel a vibration in my pegs.

Well it got worse and worse into the ride towards the end (300 mile day)

We stopped at a con. store and I decided to buy a can of wd-40. I sprayed it on, and smooth as can be for the rest of the ride.

I got home and soaked the chain in WD, and wiped off all the other lubes till I had a clean chain.

Riding to work today, I noticed a lot less rolling friction, more power etc.

I might be a permanent user.

I have 6 cans of diff. lubes, all the way from Honda HP Pro which leaves almost nothing when dry, to Maxima Chain Wax which leaves a caked on mess.

I think all lubes leave a tacky dry film behind that actually doesn't lube, and allows dirt to stick, and wear your chain out quicker.

The only problem with WD is it never seems to dry so it flings and messes.

I will continue, and see if I can solve that problem.

OK guys flame away, but you should try it first, especially if you are a don't clean it type.

WD40 is all I have ever used on any of my bikes. Clean it with an old toothbrush and a can of WD. I have 20,000 miles in 3 years with no failures. My buddy bought his 97 XX new and has used same method. He still is using original chain with 25,000 miles on it. WD works for me!!

I use it too. My chain guard catches most of it, but I still get some buildup at the very back, bottom corner of the fairing and on the wheel. Small price to pay for such a cheap lube. I spray mine down probably every 100-150 miles or so, and clean it with an old toothbrush about every 1,000.

I always use WD40 to clean my chain, but I always follow it up with a coat of Honda Lube. I'm sure I'm wasting product, but the chain on my XX is stock with 22k miles on it and seems to have at least another 3k left in it.

As long as you use it often it will probably work OK. But it will also suck the grease out of your chain. WD40 liquifies grease thats why it works so good to clean.

I have used Bel Ray superclean chain lube with good results. Doesn't fly off or attract dirt.

So is it a bad idea to clean with WD-40 and then lube the chain with a chain-lube product?

Cause that's what I just started doing. cleaning with WD and then lubing.

So is it a bad idea to clean with WD-40 and then lube the chain with a chain-lube product?

Cause that's what I just started doing.  cleaning with WD and then lubing.

Just the side plates, not the rollers. I do the same, lube with Maxima Chain Wax, no fling , no build-up

Nik,

To answer your question - YES, it is a bad idea to use WD-40 AND chain lube. WD-40 is a Degreaser. Chain lube is a grease. You are applying a degeaser then a grease which will make the chain lube not adhere asn tehre will still be remnents o WD-40 on there not allowing the grease to adhere. It MAY work for some for a short time but it doesn't make sense.

To clean you chain use Kerosene, let dry for a few minutes then lube with chain lube of your choice, I prefer PJ-1 in the blue can.

I made the TERIBLE mistake of cleaning my chain with Simple Green then applying chain lube, the Simple Green rusted my chain overnight resulting my having to replace it withing a couple hunderd miles.

Use WD on your key recepticle, and some other parts but don't use both WD AND chain lube on the chain...

Hope this helps

Steve

My 97 XX had it's first chain and sprockets replaced at 38k miles. Used WD 40 on that chain. 2nd set used Maxima chain lube...lasted a total of 18k miles. I just installed the 3rd set at 92k miles and used Maxima chain lube.

2nd set was an inferior brand of chain and sprockets...live and learn.

WD 40 got sprayed on every gas stop. Maxima chain lube was done every other gas stop. WD 40 is used to clean and after excess gets cleaned and run out, chain lube is applied.

Current mileage on my 02 is 18k miles and I've used Maxima chain lube since 9700 miles. Perhaps Conq will chime in on what he used for chain lube until I bought his bike.

Make sure you use one or the other. WD-40 will not harm O-rings and can be used as a lubricant and so can most of the chain lubes just don't use WD-40 then chain lube as the residue from the WD will make it so the Chain lube flies right off with no adhesion, this is why it is recommended using Kerosene as the cleaner first as it evaporates very quickly allowing the lube to then stick (funny, lube sticking, never mind...)