CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question about mirror screws......

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

I'm referring to the phillips head screw that enters the underside of the turnsignal housing and retains the mirror bracket.

4 out of 5 of these that I have removed have required unreasonable coercion in the form of vise-grips, dremel tools, power drills, pneumatic hammers, and a variety of hydraulic devices, not to mention various and sundry chemicals that would probably have my garage and surrounding acreage impounded by the Nuclear Regulatory Commision had they known what was going on in there. Either that, or qualify me for Superfund benefits.

So my questions are......

#1...has anyone found a simple answer to this problem? Some gadget, gizmo, Bob Villa commemorative screwsucker or wonder acid that will free the threads of the screw from the alloy bond of the screwee?

#2...has this been recognized by Honda as a problem, and the material of the screw changed? The screw was shortened 5mm in '99, but I see no supercession of part numbers to indicate an upgraded component. And I have had no different experience with newer models versus older models. Have owners of newer XX's experienced the same difficulty?

Thanks!

I tried to remove mine once (2000 XX), and it was damn near impossible.

Probably the threadlocker they're using on them?

I'm sure heat would loosen them up, but may cause other problems, as you well know :wink:

found the whiz bang tool you mention joe, cuz i've tried every damn thing. short of replacing it with a hex-head shoulder bolt, i've had great success with the makita 6916DWDE impact driver. works just like a power screwdriver, but no stripped screws. even with my discount at work it cost about $180, but how much is your sanity worth?

6916dwde_l.jpg

Teeth?    

Hey if they work for you, I'll try them.

OK... maybe they aren't called teeth...

I took this from the Home Depot online page....

Vermont American

#2 Phillips Screwdriver Bit (Pkg. of 10)

Ribbed tip to increase gripping power, comes in clear plastic storage case.

Internet/Catalog # 141034

Price: $3.99/pkg

Qty:

They are the only tips I will buy anymore. :wink:

Ribbed tip to increase gripping power, comes in clear plastic storage case.

For her pleasure....

Additionally.... at my work we have a product made by Kar , that is a super glue and lock-tight disolver....

... on the back of the bottle it says it contians... Nitromethane and Acetone...

The only draw back.... is that it also says it melts paint. :shock:

Well on the plus side... if it doesn't work... you could mix it in your gas, gain a little HP and keep your Carbs/EFI clean at the same time. :twisted:

Guest rockmeupto125

Welllllll..............smarter every day, I am. Wouldn't be as easy as it is if I wasn't so damn stupid to start with. Reading a parts catalogue might not be a bad idea.

I picked up one of Eric's Vermont IceBits for $2.34 (yeah...ONE) at our local hardware and screw-atorium. I had my eye on a complete mirror assembly I just got in on a wrecked '97. The assembly was kinda floppy, and the stay was as usual, busted, so I removed the mirror in order to watch the experiment progress. LO------and behold. Just as Pete asked.....there's a nut on the top of that damn screw. A quick trip to the parts catalogue now tells me why a 5x25 screw was used in 97/98, and a 5x20 screw from 99 up. In the early models, there's a metal clip with a rubber bumper on it that sets up against the turn signal housing. Its called a "stay turn signal stopper" and its held between the stay and that nut that Pete referred to. I hain't never come across this afore.....and I've had a few mirror assemblies apart. So either most of the mirrors that I get are 99 and up, or these gizmos get lost when folks mess with them. And the early models needed the extra 5mm length screw for the clip and nut. Anyways.......Honda sure lost them in the later models.

After that, it was anticlimatic. The bit with teeth took that screw out pronto. End of story. I'm gonna order a box of them suckers.

Guest rockmeupto125

My parts catalogue specified those three items you referred as 97 and 98. It also specifed the 5x25mm screw for 97 and 98.

Those items are not listed for 99 and up, and the screw size specified is 5x20.

When I originally took my 99 apart, those items in question were not there.

I picked up one of Eric's Vermont IceBits for $2.34 (yeah...ONE) at our local hardware and screw-atorium.

The bit with teeth took that screw out pronto. End of story. I'm gonna order a box of them suckers.

Glad they... aaa .... it worked so well for you. Expensive little guy thow.