CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question... How to replace headlight bulbs?

Obby

Ok, I finally got the new Phillips bulbs I recently ordered. I followed the manual and removed the left side upper dash cover. Now I can see both the upper and lower bulbs.

One problem, when I tried to remove the lower bulb, the retaining clip seemed to be screwed down by two phillips screws on either side. The area is too tight to get a screwdriver into. Now what? Anyone done this before?

Obby- on my 97 I had to remove the entire nose piece to change the bulbs. It only takes an extra 10 mintues or so. This way you can set the nose piece and headlight assembly on a workbench to get to the bulbs easy. I've heard a few horror stories of guys stipping one of those retaining screws on the headlight assembly, be careful!! The metal is a pretty weak aluminum, fairly brittle like pot-metal, don't over-tighten.

Although, maybe there's more room to work on the late model birds....I know I would not be able to fit my fingers through the access panel alone. Hope this helps, good luck.

Sean

I didn't have to unscrew anything on my '01. That little retainer clip just swings out of the way after unclipping it from one side, then it's twist and pull, if I remember correctly. I'll dig up my manual and see what it says. Either way, it is a tight fit for big manly hands, like I'm sure you have, even just unclipping them.......

"I've got woman's hands"- who remembers that? :grin:

don't remove the screws if you are not going to remove most of the bodywork. i tried this with my vfr way back when and putting them back in place 'blind' is practically impossible.

imho, you shouldn't have to remove the screws to unclick the retaining clip.

on my 2002 i did both high and low without removing any bodywork. i have M-L hands though and the earlier years may be different and the lower bulb was a PITA.

According to my manual-

Remove the upper cowl covers

Remove headlight bulb connectors

remove dust cover

Unhook the bulb retainer and remove the headlight bulb/socket

Nothing about removing any screws. Those clips seem impossible until you understand how the work, then it's child's play. That little wire retainer swings out of the way....hard to describe, wish i could draw a picture...

Anyway, messing with the screws isn't neccesary, go to work on those retainers, when the first one goes, all becomes clear.

Don't know if that helped, but there you go. Keep in mind Nik did this without help, so it can't be that hard :lol: :poke:

Unhook the bulb retainer and remove the headlight bulb/socket

exactly what my '97 manual said. Like it's no problemo. Maybe if you have the hands of a six year old! (hmmm, my kid)

Don't know if that helped, but there you go. Keep in mind Nik did this without help, so it can't be that hard
:lol:

I sure wish the manual would have had a picture of the removal of that clip. I had no idea what was holding it in place, looked like screws to me. Damn thing wouldn't budge. I didn't want to force the issue though. I have a tendancy of breaking anything I use force on. Ask my wife.

Thanks, I will give it another go when i feel brave.

Reach up from below. It's tough to feel your way around the first time, but once you get used to it you can have a wank while doing it. It helps to study the photo in the service manual first to understand what you're feeling for.

Yep, what they said! :pointup:

"I've got woman's hands"- who remembers that?

Tim's hands are rather soft and gentle, especially when he's cupping your balls. :wink:

Just close your eyes, and it feels very familiar. :grin:

Yep, what they said!

Except, don't try to reach it from below. You'll only find an oil cooler there.

And the carbed bikes don't require hands like Tim and Chris, either. :grin:

Jeeze, "womens hands"...........that goes back.

Ok Everyone, I did it! Definatley as easy as I had hoped the first time (print these instructions).

1. It is impossible to reach underneath the upper cowl on a '97 BB. There is an oil cooler blocking your every move (correct JasonW).

2. Remove the upper cowl covers (right and left, it doesn't take long).

3. Pull the electrical connections straight back and off (wiggling may be needed).

3. Now you can easily see THE DAMN CLIPS!

Ok, this was what was not explained, diagramed or pic'd in the Service Manual AT ALL! It is a fairly simple process, but "F" if it shouldn't be explained a little :mad: .

The clip "indeed" needs to be push-in, then slid CounterClockwise gently (not upwards, through what seems to be a release point).

4. After the DAMN CLIPS are out of the way the bulbs are completely free.

5. To insert the new replacement bulbs, make sure to turn them (looking into the headlight while inserting helps) until a notch on the bulb housing aligns and the bulb and cannot be turned anymore. Now gently swing the DAMN CLIP back into position and push down and upwards to lock (click). :razz: Ahhhh... Time for a Night Ride (testing purposes of course)!

As was said, after you have done this once, it is a fairly easy process (small hands would help).

Time to check them out now... (Phillips H7 12v/55W Vision Plus)

.No problemo. It didn't take long to find that out. I wonder why they moved the oil cooler on the FI models. Probably due to the ram air?

Ps. These Phillips bulbs are much brighter and whiter with a wider range. That's what i noticed right off anyways. I think I may need to point them down a little though. They're just bordering on high beam lighting.

When I turn both bulbs on (high beam), damn bright :shock: No problem seeing anything.

Don't know if that helped, but there you go. Keep in mind Nik did this without help, so it can't be that hard

:fingers: :razz: :lol: