CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fronf OEM brake wear...

RickXX

While doing a routine check on the brakes I noticed that one pad on the left front brakes was totally worned out. A little more and the rotor would have taken a hit. What's strange is that all the front pads were 1/2 worned for the exception of one pad. That pad was also not worned equally. It was kind of worned into a slope. I think that Warchild had posted some picture of this.

Has anyone experienced this? Could this be due to the linked brakes?

It is as if more pressure was applied on one side of it. The XX has 17 Kms on it .

:roll:

Rick

That's "normal" for this bike. Most blame the linked brakes. The left caliper moves when you activate the front brake, causing the uneven wear (that's the popular theory, anyway). Nothing to worry about.

Several of us have had the same experience. The left outside pad was down to the metal on my bike and the other pads had half their life remaining.

Strange that it doesn't always happen though. I've never seen it personally in fact. It may be a corrosion issue causing the pads to hang. Are the "victims" in more humid climates maybe?

Yes, sadly, it is quite common on this bike. Some of our more frugal forum members have resorted to swapping out with the other caliper to gain brakepad life (as a set). Your pads undoubtedly looked like the ones in this thread, didn't they:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=893

Are the "victims" in more humid climates maybe?

The High Desert of eastern Washington is as dry as your place; not a speck of corrosion to be had on the bike, anywhere. shrug.gif

I was just doing some work on one of the guys' bike. His pads looked completely even so far. I checked mine with 10k on them; perfectly even.

I think I figured out what happened though. As everyone knows, Blackbird riders are endowed with freakishly large penises. Well, I assume the rest of you are also, like myself. Anybody going to claim otherwise? Well anyway, I make sure to "dress left" one day and alternate to the right the next. Thus keeping my tire and brake pad wear even. If you're hanging that thing off one side every day, I bet the inertia is pulling the bike to that side and wearing the pads faster.

Just a thought.