CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turn signal bulbs/Clear Alternatives Issue

N1K

I got the Clear Alternative front signal lenses..

Installed them this evening. Everything went fine until I turned it on..

They wouldn't lite up.. So I thought maybe the contacts were not making a good connection. So I bent the contacts up slightly.. Then the front would light up, and for a few seconds they worked, but then both dash-indicators stayed on (steady on) and then went out, and the fronts wouldn't blink.. just stay on solid. they wouldn't signal just stay on.

So I took the lights out and examined the back. The stock turn signal bulbs have 2 contact points on the end of the socket part of the bulb.

The chrome bulbs that came with the Clear Alternative lenses have only one contact point.

Did Clear Alternatives send me the wrong Chrome bulbs???

I just put the stock clear bulbs back in for the time being until i can get a bulb that works.

Anyone have a similar problem? Or can anyone confirm that the bulbs I were sent are wrong?

I recently got some from www.bikebitz.com with the chrome bulbs and they worked fine with the single contact. But then being in Australia I have the "Euro" model that doesn't have the clearance lights (or park lights as we call them (or an on/off switch for that matter...) by the sounds of it you have a dual fillament as OE for the clearance/indicator in the same bulb - hence no flash?. So if the OE has two contacts...yes you have the wrong bulb...

I got mine at Pep Boys also. I covered the contact for the running light so that I only have turn signals.

I was getting too many Hardleys waving at me at night thinking I was one of their POS's comming. Funny how they don't wave anymore. It's amazing what 2 inches of electrical tape can do :lol:

Rich

It's amazing what 2 inches of electrical tape can do  

2 inches ???????

Try a 1/4 inch square directly over the contact. Works like a Champ

I didn't believe the 1156 bulbs would even fit in the socket made for the 1157 ?

Clear Alternatives will get the correct ones out to you immediately.

You diffenently need a pair of 1157's and then do the electrical tape trick for that stealth look.

2 inches ???????

Try a 1/4 inch square directly over the contact.

Unplugging the running lights wire from the turn signals too easy or something? :idea: :loony:

2 inches ???????

Try a 1/4 inch square directly over the contact.

Unplugging the running lights wire from the turn signals too easy or something? :idea: :loony:

Why mess with the wiring when you can do and undo the tape thing in about two minutes?

Nik, I'm gonna toss those bulbs in the bag so they'll be there either way. See you in PA bro.

Why mess with the wiring when you can do and undo the tape thing in about two minutes?.

You can get the bulbs out in two minutes? Damn, your good! If you already have the mirrors out and the bulb in your hand maybe. Its not a big deal to get to the wires, either unbolt the mirror stems from the fairing(2 bolts) or take off the upper trim pieces in the fairing (2 bolts and a push pin). Wires are right there. Tape in the socket is cobby in my opinion.

You have to remove one of the wires from the plug, which risks ruining the plug, unless you have the proper tools to do the job.

That is the method I used, but a 1/4" piece of tape over one of the bulb contacts is easy, especially when you're already in there changing bulbs & lenses.

Plus, it's easily reversible.

2 bolts pulls each mirror out. 6 bolts to pull the windshield to access the plugs.

To each his own. :)

Nik, I'm gonna toss those bulbs in the bag so they'll be there either way. See you in PA bro.

Ok..

I talked to clear alternatives today, and they were cool about everything. They are going to ship the bulbs to joe, hopefully they'll be there in time for nexxt, if not, I'll buy yours off of you.

Thanks man!

Nik

Jees.....all these problems right after TIM fucks with your shocks....

I think TIM just doesn't know how to fix shit.

Although he did adjust my chain last year.....

But I needed to replace it 3 weeks after he tightned it.

He needs a good TUSHY SPANKIN !

Unplugging the running lights wire from the turn signals too easy or something? :idea:  :loony:

I can pull both bulbs out in under 10 min. Much easier than pulling the windscreen and messing with electrical connections.

But to each his own and whatever works best for you is great. :poke: :loony:

Rich

Much easier than pulling the windscreen and messing with electrical connections.

I think you only have to pull back the rubber sleeve that protects the mirror bracket and pull the wire thru the little hole in the upper cowl to unplug it...

You have to remove one of the wires from the plug, which risks ruining the plug, unless you have the proper tools to do the job.Plus, it's easily reversible.2 bolts pulls each mirror out. 6 bolts to pull the windshield to access the plugs.:)

Proper tool? Remove the windscreen? Are you one of those people who can't work on anything without the manual in your hands? Unless they REALLY changed the bikes from 97 - present. Please inform me if I am wrong. My bike is a 97. Each signal has three wires running to them with there OWN (3) male, femal connections. Do the newer models have one signal connection for each turn signal? If so, sorry, the tape would be easier. By the way, you still wouldn't have to remove the windscreen. Just the upper filler pannels in the fairing, two bolts. Different strokes for different folks. :cheers:

The 2001 Has one molded plug on one end and the connector at the other end is inside the nose plastic and is to big to fit through the hole, so yes you must remove the windscreen.

Vern will tell you electrical tape is much easier and won't even give you the E=IR formula either :grin:

Unless they REALLY changed the bikes from 97 - present. Please inform me if I am wrong. My bike is a 97. Each signal has three wires running to them with there OWN (3) male, femal connections. Do the newer models have one signal connection for each turn signal? If so, sorry, the tape would be easier

I found this out the hard way. 1999 and newer bikes don't have the three wires. They have a white/opaque square plug. We were luck in '97 and '98.

Guy I work with asked me to change out his left mirror housing on his '99 bird. The job was made minimally harder because his wiring did not fit throught the hole in the upper fairing.

I recently bought some chrome bulbs from Auto Zone/Pep Boys, when I was fixing the damage to my bike, and installing the new clear turn signals.

Oddly, what I found was my chrome coated 1157 bulbs did not illuminate amber when turned on. Instead they have the blue hue to them, with no orange or yellow at all. Will let you know what I think of them as time goes by. So far, they have ZERO amber bleed over in the signal cavity.