CBR1100XX.org Forum

TOP END NOISE

darkwing

I AM HAVING BIG TROUBLES, SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!! I'VE GOT A 97 BIRD, THERE IS A SOUND IN THE TOP END OF THE MOTOR, I THOUGHT WAS A BAD VALVE, BUT EVERYTHING LOOKED GOOD WHEN I TOOK OF THE COVER. THE BIKE WAS AT AN IDLE FOR ABOUT 2 MIN THEN THE NOISE STARTED. COULD THIS BE A VALVE SPRING OR CAM BEARING. IF ANYONE HAS A SUGGESTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I AM A NEW MEMBER AND THIS SITE ROCKS.

The oil was changed 1000 miles ago it is good, i'm not a motorhead what other info do you need? the bike only has 14000 miles on it. the noise increases with the revs. only did this once though didn't want to fark it up more. My first thought was an exhaust leak but it is fine.

Check the valve clearance if you have the cover off. Is it still running the same as before the noise, if it is running rough it may have a small chunk of carbon under a valve, check the plugs, check the pair valves on the top of the valve cover.

It is part of the emmissions system they are reed valves allowing air to be sucked into the exhaust stream helping to burn excess fuel, there are two on the valve cover on my 98 XX there are two bolts that hold each cover on. You should be able to tell by looking at them if one is bad or not.

Clic here forum thread pair valves. http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11681

Other things to check while the valve cover is off would be cam spocket bolts and cam bearing cap bolts if someone adjusted the valves they may have left some bolts loose. Make sure cam chain is tight.

FWIW, my alleged top-end noise appears to have been caused by a loose header bolt on the #1 cylinder. I pulled the airbox off & looked at the 1/2 PAIR valves, which appeared to be OK (man, they do cause a lot of clutter under there, don't they???). As a last resort before taking her to the stealership, I pulled the LH fairing & checked the header bolts. Sure enough, very loose. She's purring like a kitten again.

Geez I love Hondas...