CBR1100XX.org Forum

I hate chains - well at least mine

Hookman49

Ok, I have only about 8,000 miles on my chain and it is the red (replace) mark one my bike already. Been having this guy here local replace my chain. This is the second one and I am not happy. I oil it every 300 miles. WTF!

So, I am not going back. Going to try and do this myself.

Now is changing the sprockets a hard job?

What kind of chain tool should I purchase?

And I am assuming I should go with the DID - ZVM chain?

What about sprockets? Was going to purchase from Louie if I can.

Ken

What kind of chain was this last one?

Get the DID ZVM, nothing else. My last one went 25K miles.

No big deal with the chain, I've got the motion pro chain riveter. You have a dremel?

Just remember to break the front sprocket nut loose before anything else.

Put bike on sidestand and hold brakes on.

Everybody has forgotten the most important question: What gears are you running? If you are one down on the front then your chain will hit red a lot sooner than normal, even though it is NOT worn out. If you change down in gearing, the chain "appears" stretched.

Everybody has forgotten the most important question: What gears are you running? If you are one down on the front then your chain will hit red a lot sooner than normal, even though it is NOT worn out. If you change down in gearing, the chain "appears" stretched.

Good point, but I am a stock kind of guy. Standard gearing.

Ken

I would venture to say that the "red" zone isn't necessarily a good indicator. Keep your chain lubed and adjusted. You will know when its time to replace it. It will start kinking and/or will be hard to adjust because it will have tight/lose spots due to being stretched unevenly.

Don't let the guys behind the parts desk sell you anything other than the ZVM or other brand equivalent. They will try telling you its just as good etc.

Considering the Scottoilers oil like every 300 INCHES, I don't think overoiling is a bad thing. (It only seems like 300 inches cause they are messy). I oil mine every two rides, or more often. Basically, if it's not damp with oil, I oil it. I got like 18k out of the stock ZVM doing that, and that was with WD40.

Considering the Scottoilers oil like every 300 INCHES, I don't think overoiling is a bad thing.  (It only seems like 300 inches cause they are messy).  I oil mine every two rides, or more often.  Basically, if it's not damp with oil, I oil it.  I got like 18k out of the stock ZVM doing that, and that was with WD40.

Oh, no! :roll:

Let's not go there again...

I lube my chain on a "whenever" basis, aiming for every 300 miles with Maxima Chain Wax, and never clean it. I got 25K on the original chain, and I'd like to think I'm abusive to chains. :grin:

Mikey, you can buy aftermarket front sprockets that will last as long as the chain does, but aren't equipped with the damper like the stock sprocket is, which isn't a big deal, just a little added noise.

I'd stick with a good name brand, though, like Renthal, AFAM, or JT, etc.

For the rear sprocket, I'll keep using OEM as long as I'm using a 45T sprocket. For any other size, I'll go with an anodized aluminum, lightened sprocket. Reasons being is the stock rear is good for at least 2 chains, but if I'm swapping out the rear sprocket size, I'm only doing it for a performance improvement, so might as well lighten things up in the process.

Non anodized sprockets will wear really quick, though, so stay away from them. An anodized aluminum rear should last as long as one chain.

Dave, paying for my valet parking was the least you could do, considering what you made me do to you! :shock: