CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dead on the Highway

therubberjungle

Hello everyone,

I'm a brand-spanking new member (this is my first post) who's been the proud owner of a '97 for two months now. Talk about the PERFECT bike to get me back into street riding!

So, there I was this afternoon cruising @ 4000 rpm when the speedo and tach both dropped to zero. The engine hiccupped then started losing power. A couple of backfires then nothing. Dead.

I started to check the fuses and found that the main (30 amp) fuse was toast. Replaced it and watched it blow again after two minutes of highway speed. Replaced again and decided to rev the engine: blown fuse as the tach climbed above 3500-4000 rpm. Dammit!

Had to limp home @ 2200 rpm on the backroads. Anyone have some insight?

Cheers,

Rod

Hobicus,

SWEET avatar... damn, I can't stop staring! It's hypnotic!

I think you're right. I pulled the rr and found a 1/2 inch crack on the rubber face.

I normally ride in the dry but yesterday's Friday 13 in Port Dover was a soaker. Maybe it's time for a replacement.

Thanks for replying,

Rod

If you have to buy the new one, the R/R from the '01-'03 is better and cheaper, but you'd have to play with the plug...

And you can try the '99-'01 R1 R/R which is even cheaper than the Honda...

From Ron Ayers:

XX

'97-'98

Part Number: 31600-MY7-305

Description: SET,REGULATOR

Price: $156.67

'99-'00

Part Number: 31600-MAT-E01

Description: RECTIFIER, REGULATOR

Price: $107.49

'01-'03

Part Number: 31600-MAT-D51

Description: RECTIFIER, REGULATOR

Price: $96.74

And here is the one from the '99-'01 Yamaha R1

Part Number: 4JH-81960-01-00

Description: RECTIFIER & REGULATO

Price: $56.61

Good luck,

Well I think I have the same problem. Riding yesterday down 144 in PA (doing the speed limit of course :wink: ) I looked down and my speedo and tach were not working. Shit.

So I figured it was just a fuse and kept going. Not long afterwords my bike starts spitting and the dies. Fuck! In the middle of no were.

We checked the fuses and all seemed ok. Unpluged all my extra shit and pushed started her and off we went.

10 miles later died again. Two of my buddies went to Walmart picked me up a battery and I made it home.

Have to check the volts tonight, but it sounds like the reg/rec is shot. If that is the case I think I will go with the R1 reg/rec. As Peter posted it is $100 cheaper then the Honda and better.

Now has anybody did this swap with a brand new R1 part and not a used one with the wires?

Ken

I had that happen to me yesterday right outside of Madison. The bike went dead at 70, I pulled over and Peter pointed out that I hit the kill switch while changing stations on the XM.

Freakin Honda. :shock: :oops:

I had that happen to me yesterday right outside of Madison. The bike went dead at 70, I pulled over and Peter pointed out that I hit the kill switch while changing stations on the XM.

Freakin Honda. :shock: :oops:

LOL, I wish it was just my kill switch.

Ken

I linked to this guys' site about doing a Yammi rect. Someone else did it too.

www.quattro123.com/ click on the BB.

-Suf Daddy

Well I think I have the same problem. Riding yesterday down 144 in PA (doing the speed limit of course :wink: ) I looked down and my speedo and tach were not working. Shit.

So I figured it was just a fuse and kept going. Not long afterwords my bike starts spitting and the dies. Fuck! In the middle of no were.

We checked the fuses and all seemed ok. Unpluged all my extra shit and pushed started her and off we went.

10 miles later died again. Two of my buddies went to Walmart picked me up a battery and I made it home.

Have to check the volts tonight, but it sounds like the reg/rec is shot. If that is the case I think I will go with the R1 reg/rec. As Peter posted it is $100 cheaper then the Honda and better.

Now has anybody did this swap with a brand new R1 part and not a used one with the wires?

Ken

Thanks for the link Surf!!

Well after putting in a new battery we checked the volts and it is between 13.80 and 14.40 volts. Depends if I had the high beam and brake light on.

Now when the fan kicked in it droped just below 13 volts. Is this ok?

Ok will try that. I did increase the rpm's a little when the fan was off and it went up just a touch. Not much though!

Ken

Ken

I did it to mine last fall...all it involved was a small screwdriver to remove the terminals from the plastic connector...then just plug into the R/R...the three spade terminals that are lined up together are the alternator lines (yellow on my 97)...then looking from the front the red wire to the right and green wire to the left...heres a link complete with pictures good luckhttp://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/...eg_replace.html

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276

So a bad reg/rec doesn't sneak up on you, every time you start the bike in the morning watch the lights closely. They should get brighter when you rev it off idle.

I also periodically throw the multimeter on and check the voltage.

My Yamaha R1 reg. is still going strong, currently at 48 K miles I put it on at 30 K miles. :grin: