CBR1100XX.org Forum

Horse Power loss?

The Krypt Keeper

On my little group ride yesterday we were talking about bike maintance. We compared what chain lube we used, and all that fun jolly shiznit

Well engine oil came up.. I mentioned I was running the Mobil 1 15w-50

Buddy of mine couldn't believe me. Said that running that thick of a oil was actually robbing my engine of HP.

He runs Mobil 1 bike oil in his 929, and think his 996 ducati..

How much HP is being robbed? I figured no more than 2 or 3.. We talked about thicker oil compared to thinner oil running in a tight spec high performance engine..

i also thought about that.. yesterday I was flat out flogging 3rd gear.. and bike temp went up too 210 while riding the twisties..

but would go down to 190 on normal roads... it was also hotter than hell yesterday.. sweat was pouring off my balls like water coming out of a garden hose :twisted: :shock:

He's right.

Race teams will run very light oils, like 0W20 for example. It'll make as much as 6 extra hp, from what I've been told.

My engine guy called the 15W50 "tar". :oops:

Fuck that Mobil crap.

Get yourself some true synthetic

AMSOIL 10w40.

I have used Mobil, Chevron, Shell rotella, Honda and a few others that I'm ashamed to mention. "All blends by the way"

With Amsoil the motor runs cooler and the tranny shifts oh so smooth.

We have a guy that delivers paperwork at my department that has is an online distributor of Amsoil. If there is any interest, I'll talk to him and see what he can do for us. Just a thought.

Rich

StPeteXX

So why're you running the XX off road? There are a lot of bikes better suited for that

Heh..The ol Cr250 wasn't making enough horsepower.

Plus I was inspired by Mission Impossible 2. One minute they are doing high speed asphalt stunts, the next they are jumpin those Triples on the beach.

I was confused.

• 2 weeks later...
I been running the mobil 1 "red cap" for over 7k miles.

I change the oil about every 2500 miles or so

2500 miles? Holy crap... I do mine every 6000.

Just started using Mobil one. Full or half synthetic, I don't care, it's proven.

I am anal about my bike.. She isn't used very hard till I hit the mountains.. And when I am there she is being flogged.. Tach needle is always pointing from 6k rpms to 10k rpms for miles. Temp goes up as well.

I change my oil every 2500 at least.. think once I did 2700 miles. Oil filter new crush washer, Chain cleaned and lubed every 500 miles. Air pressure checked often..

Going to do a radiator flush and change all brake fluid and clutch fluid here soon also :wink:

I like the Amsoil but can't always get it. I was thinking of switching to Mobil 1. If i got this right it's the red cap 15 50 car oil and you can get it at Wal Mart for cheap, right? I want to run the same oil in everything which includes a new Kawi 360 Prarie 4 wheeler. Think the Mobil be the right stuff for it. Thanks. :?: