CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sylvania silver star bulbs

BIG BOY

I was going to order a set yesterday, but one of their people talked me out of them.

Kinda weird?

I told her they were going into my motorcycle.

She asked if i drive a lot.

I said yes.

She told me i wouldn't recommend getting them because they don't last long, but are great lights.

She said if i drive a lot, they would probably only last a year.

I opted not to buy.

Yeah, I've heard they don't last long.... the cheaper "cool blue" or something like that, also from Sylvania, were recommended as a better choice.... :roll:

BTW, this company seems to carry the " Vision Plus" from Phillips, here in the US now...

http://www.ambulbs.com/products/category.p...?offset=48&CA=1

I think these were voted to be the best.....

Cheers,

I tried both the VisionPlus and SilverStar bulbs in my Triumph Sprint over the four years I had and found that both were a big improvement over stock bulbs; the VisionPlus bulbs lasted about 18 months and the SilverStars were still in it when I traded it in on the 'bird. So, I want to upgrade the lighting on the 'bird with either of these. However, I can't find any indication of the bulb type for the bike; neither the Owners Manual nor the Haynes book list the specific bulb type, just that it's 12V/55W. Can someone on the list enlighten me? I'm sure it's probably not an H4, as that's a dual filiment bulb. Is it an H7?

Thanks.

-Keith

I've had the "cool blue" lights in my bird for over a year now. They are not the least little bit blue. They give off a nice white light and are a bit brighter than stock. I still have the 55 watt bulbs in mine though. Next set, I think I'm going to go to the higher wattage bulbs in the vision plus(if available). HID is a little pricey for me, but looks kick ass, and I don't do much riding after dark. Too many bambis running out in front of me around here.

• 2 months later...
Found this picture, showing the difference between stock H7 and Phillips Vision Plus bulb......

stock_superwhite.jpg

Guess which one is which ?!  :twisted:  

Cheers,

It's actually none of those. The bulb on the right side was a POS "hyperwhite" that you couldn't see anything with at night. It only looks brighter. Thats my bike in the picture.

The phillps is in the right of this picture:

stock_phillips.jpg

It is brighter than stock, but it's the same color temp so your eye doesn't notice it when looking right at it. The brighter one in the quote is just more blue, which causes glare, which hurts your eyes and makes you think....damn....my eyes hurt...it has to be brighter!

Here is a nice blub review, check out where the "cool blue" and "hyperwhite" bulbs end up compared to the normal looking vision plus.

mb_headlight_bulbs4.JPG