CBR1100XX.org Forum

Raising the Handlebars

janpapa

Hi all,

recently moved from a CB750 to a CBR1100XX. Great bike with power reserve that blows me away. But just feel that I would be a bit more comfortable on my weekly highway rides to Northern Japan if I could raise the handlebars a few cm. I believe there are kits available to do so but have no idea where to look. I saw an earlier discussion about helibars but couldn't quite figure it out (sorry, newbie to this forum). Anybody has any ideas or experiences? Especially, any weblinks to kits?

Thanks, Jan

You can safely raise the bars 3/4" (19mm), and re-torque to 20ft/lbs. I had mine there for a full season, with no movement, even with the added stress of wheelies.

You can also add Genmar risers, but they're expensive for what you get. Another option is VFR800 bars from a 2002-03 model, which are taller, and closer to the rider.

If raising the bars without the Genmar spacers, just be sure to index the clip-ons first to keep them lined up.

Hiya Jan,

Glad to see ya made it over!

I've still got the 1 cm spacers if you're interested - don't think I need em now that I'm with the Corbin seat...

Am doing the Venus line in Matsumoto at month end, on a hi-gaeri. PM me if you have some time.

Cheers,

Sorry so late...... but this is what I did.

First remove the circular wire clips at the top of the fork tubes, just below the cap nuts. With them on, you cannot raise the top of the clip-on above the top of the fork tube. They are small diameter and sit in a grove and can be a pain to get out.

Then loosen the 2 pinch bolts that clamp the clip-ons to the forks. at this point you can slide the bar up the fork....and off, if you keep going. Use a scrap of wood, or anything really that is approx. 3/4 inch (19mm) as a spacer to insure that both bars are the same height. Set the spacer on the top yoke so the bottom of the bar rests on the top of the spacer. Tighten the pinch bolts to 20ftlbs.

There is a lug on the bar that fits in a slot in the yoke. When you raise the bars the lug no longer sits in the slot.

I made a mark w/ a marker on the bar and the fork tube before I loosened them to make sure I kept them in the same location. Or you could try rotating the bars forward or back to see if it' s more comfortable.

I may have slightly loosened some of the brake line fittings and rotated them to get a little more length. Hard to remember yesterday, let alone that.

Good luck

When you're done it's gonna look like there's not much of the bar gripping the fork but it's OK, I promise :)

IM000010a.JPG

Todd, I gotta ask- What's the bike doing in the house when you've got such a nice garage? (I've seen the pics :grin: ) Not that I see a problem with a bike in the living room, just curious.

Actually Joe, the whole post is basically a 'cut and paste' from an e-mail I sent to a bunch of guys from the IXXRA quite awhile back. I had to tweek it slightly, but it only took a minute to post it.

Besides, I need to keep my picture count up to keep the chickens away. :chicken:

It's not like I was sitting around on a Friday night with nothing better to do........ :oops:

Tim, I had the bike in the livingroom for the winter a couple years ago when I did the clocks and some other goodies. Also I could sit on it and make vroom-vroom noises all winter! :cycle: