CBR1100XX.org Forum

Opinions on tires and saddle bags

HK33K

Hi guys. I just got a new to me CBR 1100(97) :grin: and wanted to get your views on tires for it. I am mostly looking for tires that will wear well,give good wet traction and a stable ride at speed. I am not going to be carving corners, so max lean angle/side traction is not an issue.

I currantly have Dunlop D208s front and rear. They seem to do everything I need them to do. How will they hold up?

My second question. I am looking at getting some smaller saddle bags.So far I have seen GIVI and Corbin beetle bags.Right now I am leaning towards Corbin. Do you guys have any opinions on these or other types of bags?

Thanks for the help,

Pat

A new member.

Hi Xer,

I now have Michelin Pilot Roads and they seem fine.

Re: saddle bags, I have Givi bags and they are more roomy and practical than Corbin bags but are bulkier and stick out more. The advantage is that in the city, I use one as a top box [this keeps me thin for traffic] and for long trips I use them on the sides [i have 45 litre bags but 36 L might be better for you]. They are completely waterproof and removable.

TimXX

I agree with the Pilot Road tires. I'm approaching 8,000 miles and still have 4/32nds in the center of the rear tire.

Had Beetle Bags until the bike hit the ground. I switched to Givi when I learned that Corbin WOULD NOT sell a single replacement Beetle Bag. If I need to replace one bag, I would need to pay for two. Also, when I bought my Beetle Bags, I paid $699. I believe that they now cost $999.

With my SW Motech rack and Givi bags, I can have all the carrying capacity that I need or I can make the bike look almost completely stock in under 1/2 minute.

Welcome

The Dunlops have good grip but don't last too long. The front will start to cup after a couple thousand miles and the back will square off quickly. Expect your mileage with them to be between 3k and 6k if you take it easy.

Avon 45/46 combo is popular as well as the Michelin Roads.

Avon AV45/46 here for tires... love them! Just installed my second set purchased from swmototires.com for @$226 arrived in a couple days. This is my 5 set of tires from them.

Bags - I went with B-Bags imported by Corbin (no, not beetle bags). I also love this set-up. A little on the pricey side but the quality is outstanding!

Steve

Pilot Roads, Oxford Humpback tankbag and Givi E52 topcase w luggage rack (use mostly for bulky sleeping bag in lightweight waterproof nylon bag). Throw on a set of larger Roadgear softbags only when need extra capacity (use lightweight waterproof nylon inner bags). Completely waterproof, and that has been tested in combat too many times.

I really like the tankbag/topcase setup since it has virtually no effect on handling while giving lots of convient storage. Oh, also have cargo net strapped to rear seat for those quick stop'n'gos at local rocket fuel store to load up w liquid refreshments :roll: :drinkbeer: I mount my 8500 on top of tankbag using 3M Industrial Strength Velcro, works great.

Getting similar mileage out of Roads as mentioned above, great all around tire, no front cupping, very good wet, smooth and can corner well beyond where i want to go (peggy thingys r grinding occasionally).

I use the Bridgestone 020's and the Givi's.

The 020 has held on all I have it do and it's wearing great.

The Givis are great for carrying about anything. I have the ones that you can open part of the top with a combination and then the whole thing with a key, i think they are the E41. The smaller opening is great to get out or put in things like gloves or what-not. They also come off super easy, just turn the key and push a button and you're carrying a suit case.

Also I have the Givi WingerRack2, that holds them onto the bike. It has a top rack, for the top bag, that doubles as a rack to bungie thing down to when you need.

Thanks for all the info. It looks like the overall favotite type of tire is the Pilot Road so I will try them out soon.

As far as luggage goes, wow everyone has a different oppinion. I think I will keep looking.

Thanks,

Pat

wow everyone has a different oppinion

And that surprisses you ?! :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Be glad we don't have the offer of the European market ! :wink:

They have way larger selection.....

Check www.twistedthrottle.com for other hard bag options.....

And remember, GIVI is here in the US, they have great sellection and decent prices, and ...I'M A BIG FAN !!! :twisted:

Tell us more, what do you expect from the bags....

Cheers,

I do not need massive bags. All I need the bags to do is provide secure storage that can hold items 24"X6"X2". I just talked to the guys at Corbin and they said that was not a problem, plus I like the clean look.

The GIVI bags just look too out of place, like an afterthought.

Unless any one has any other recommendations for clean fitting bags I have made up my mind.

Thanks,

Pat

well hate to tell you but your S.O.L.

The following dimensions are the largest possible. i.e. I measured at the widest parts.

opening width: 6.5"

opening length: 12.5"

deepest section: 11"

hope this helps you out.

Corbin people lied again..... :roll:

Sorry man....

Hey, the E52 is 23"- 17"- 11.5".......

If it was the perfect rectangle, there should be about 25" from one corner to another, across.... :???: I suck in math, but that's what I come up with meassuring on my desk.... :twisted:

I have the E50, which is smaller, and it's 22" from wall to wall and it's 23" across.

You could call GIVI (877-679-4484) tomorrow , between 9 and 5:30 EST and they could meassure it for you.

Or maybe someone here could do that..anyone with the E52 ?!

You could just buy the Monorack and one case and carry it on top, like this....

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/peteski3@...8&.dnm=4fa2.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/peteski3@...b0b.jpg&.src=ph

Otherwise, Timbuk2 bag or a backpack ( http://www.ebags.com/search/index.cfm?ICat...uponid=57983602 )..... :twisted:

I think, the E52 is the largest, hard bag on the market in the US.....

Cheers,

Here's my 2 cents worth. I rode Pilot Sports for one season, don't recommend them for bird touring. I currently run BT 020's, $322/21 plus tax etc. and I'm very pleased with grip and wet handling. In England, 1st in rain, 3rd in dry. I'm about to tour two-up through BC&Alberta so I'll know for sure when I return. As for Bags, my choice is Givi; Corbin may look cool, and are good for short one-up riding but I'm suspect of the service, size, and replacements. But I love the Gunfighter Lady!! Now for Givi, they are pricy; E-46 top bag 40 litres, Metalic Black, $382.00, Back Rest, E460-$80.00; 2X E-360 side bags, 35 litres, $ 720.00, side bags fit top rack, Hardware Kit, $106.

The docking hardware replaces the turn signals, frankly much more visible. Also a E460 lighting kit, $ 43.00 for the top box that wires into the brake lights. Some don't like the look of the docking hardware but it doen't bother me and I don't remove it. Small bag holds my lap top and other stuff so works well. I can travel with all three bags, large of small top bag or just side bags. The newer models are trick and can be colour coordinated with your ride. They are waterproop, detachable, rock solid at high speeds, 150 mph, two up, no problem. It was a one time affair.

Perhaps because they ride high they do affect handling a bit and catch some side winds but I don't regret this purchase at all. I'm not high-tech enough to attach a pic. However I toured from Vancouver to Toronto through the States and back to Edmonton then Van with these bags and they are GREAT. Snap on, snap off. Cheers :wink: