CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery charging problem?

Obby

Went to start the bird, that horrible sound we a dred came from the engine. You know, that errrt... errrt... no starty sound :sad: .

So like the well prepared motorcyclist I am, I pull out my motorcycle battery charger and fire it up. Battery was dead, but took a full charge in an hour. Started up the bird, checked the voltage with a mulitester. Output was at 12.5 volts. That sounds a little low to me. Should it be putting out more than that? If so, what part should I be looking at testing/replacing? Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Obby

ps. could this be a stator issue like the thread below?

when my alternator went on my bike one honda mechanic said it was the regulator rectifier.took it to another mechanic for a second opinion and he reckoned that if the reg rec had gone then it would be too hot to touch.can anyone else verify that as it would be the easiest way to check if it was still good.

Obby, both Hugo and I had a charging issue as well, but caused by different problems. We both documented it here. Hope this helps.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...ight=cycle+stop

Checked out the thread, rather amusing and informative on where not to bring your bird in for service, but no real info on how to diagnose the charging system. Hugo case sounded familiar to mine. Could be the stator as when i rev it up the charging does increase, but the battery is still losing a charge over time.

The battery is about 2 years old. It's a maintenance free yusua type. It takes a full charge on the charger, so i don't think there is anything wrong with it. I did notice a little corrosion on the positive terminal. I clean/sanded that up and tested for drain with my trusty radio shack pocket multi-tester. The continuity on the ground as specified the maunal. The continuity is 0.0 - 0.2 (i think that the verbage). In other words, little to no drain. This weekend I will try to test the teminal comming from the stator and the terminal going into the reg/rec as described in the manual (kinda confusing though, any electrical experts here?).

In any case, after a full trickle charge last night the bird is more responsive than ever. Even caught myself a power wheelie where there was none before :grin: .

Did some more testing on the birds battery last night. Looks like I was completey wrong about "if the battery takes a charge, it should be good". It takes a charge alright, but with a load on it (headlight on, engine off), it looses the charge in minutes.

Found a good article on batteries for those bored at work today...

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/motor_battery.asp

Looks like I'm off to pickup a new battery and put this problem to bed.

12.5 is not enough. It should be 12.8 with the battery alone. Rev it up and it should go over 14 at around 3-4 krpms.

If it does not budge when revving it up -> most likely RR dead

Once RR is replaced, make sure you get enough juice with the fan+high beam on otherwise the stator is partially shagged.

Hugo

PS: I am talking to my dealership right now to get my old - good - battery back. If they find it, you can have it. Good for troubleshooting, at least.