CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stator Complete

Canadian Bird

With 55,000 kms on my '02 Bird in 22 months I discovered that the stator complete is fried. It looked cooked and smelled cooked. There was no warning, electrical gremlins, starting problems or anything I noticed. Fortunately it was in the shop when time to leave it wouldn't start. I discovered, much to my disappointment that there were none in Canada and it was back-ordered and would take 3-5 weeks to arrive. There were only 2 in the USA. I think I solved this delema so here's my ? Who's had to replace the Stator Comp in their Bird, how many kms did you have, were there any warnings, are there after-market products, was it warranteed, did you replace it yourself? Thanks :?:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...ht=stator+fried

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...ht=stator+fried

Warchild just wrote these up recently addressing his stator problem's and his fix. :wink:

02 and the stator is fried? Wonder if it's just a lemon?

Thanks for the site, looks just like my stator! 55,000 kms are mostly touring kms and from what I read from a subject search seems normal give or take a few thousand miles. It's the r/r that I'm wondering if I have to replace. My main concern is the length of time for it to arrive. I had a call from England and Pete didn't sound that complementary re American electrolux. I'm waiting for oem and I'll just pay the price. Sometimes oem sometimes aftermarket. Thank again

the one on my 99 went at around 40 000 klms the electrition told me they usually take about 6 to 8 months or so to fully burn out till they don,t charge anymore.had the regulator rectifier cook itself around a year later.the bike started fine at home on both occasions but when i went to leave the place i,d ridden to the battery was flat and i had to push start it. but on the positive side the original battery is still good after 92000 klms .ive been told that if when you rev the bike and the headlight dosn,t get brighter thats usually a sign theres a charging problem .bike was out of warranty both times as well.

the one on my 99 went at around 40 000 klms the electrition told me they usually take about 6 to 8 months or so to fully burn out till they don,t charge anymore.had the regulator rectifier cook itself around a year later.the bike started fine at home on both occasions but when i went to leave the place i,d ridden to the battery was flat and i had to push start it. but on the positive side the original battery is still good after 92000 klms .ive been told that if when you rev the bike and the headlight dosn,t get brighter thats usually a sign theres a charging problem .bike was out of warranty both times as well.

I dunno about rev the bike and the headlight doesn't get brighter is a sign of problems

Sure it is.

Engine is revving too low to charge at idle, so when you rev it up, the headlight will brighten because the voltage is rising.

Do either of you guys with the failures run heated gear, high wattage bulbs, electrically operated accessories, or idle the bike significantly?

Ever use the bike to charge the battery, instead of trickle charging it?

Just wondering if there is a connection somewhere........ :???:

I do not run any additional electical gadgetry or any kind. Standard oem bulbs. Only change is pc111. I've done a search on the Brit site as well as this and I've garnared a fare amount of info. I've learned to do my search before I cry with this situation. I'm waiting for the part to arrive next Thur/Fri and will install r/r if necessary. Just want to ride!!

all stock bulbs and no extra electric gear on it.the bike dosn,t get to sit around at idle for long either.when i had the problems and the battery got flattened i had it trickle charged by a battery centre.apart from those two times the batteries been great.the electrition who rewound the stator for me was surprised it went as the wire gauge used was a heavy duty one.had him check over the bike and he could find no reason why it burn,t out.i have a feeling it may have been from when i had the crankcase welded about 8 months earlier due to the chain breaking.

My stator packed it in about a month ago. I had the same problem as you. No stators or RR to be found anywhere in Canada. My bike was a 99 with 70,000 kms. I was tired of waiting and replaced it with a stator out of wrecked cbr 600 that had 1800kms on it. Oh by the way, Electrex specs the same stator for the CBR600 and blackbird. This is bullshit, because the cbr600 stator is narrower. However it fits perfectly into the alternator case and all I had to do was use shorter bolts. It most likely does not have the same output as the blackbird stator. However, it has worked well and believe me I check the output a hell of a lot more than used to. I am alittle bit paranoid now and I also have a used RR out of a 03 VFR sitting on my workbench in case the RR has to be replaced. In fact I suspected the RR was the culprit until I took the case off and saw the chared wires on the back of the stator.

I dunno about rev the bike and the headlight doesn't get brighter is a sign of problems

Mine has done this since day one, slightly brighter aa rpm increase, voltage shows good... uhmmm ???

Thanks for the info, sorry I'm a bit late on the response. I've learned a hell of a lot re electicals as a result of this situation. I've been in contact with "customer service" at Honda Canada in Toronto andd frankly they, specifically one person, has been very helpful. As of yesterday the parts have arrived in Toronto and will be shipped to Vancouver via air Monday and I expect them to arrive at the dealer Wed/Thur and have my ride no later than Sat. "Live in hope; die in despair". We're leaving on Aug 3 touring BC & Alberta ending in Edmonton. I've visited many sites dealing with stators & r&r's, $206.00 US funds for a stator. Well,"it aint over till it's over", I'll keep yu'all posted. :???: