CBR1100XX.org Forum

front sprocket install

tweety

going to try the ol' 16t front sprocket. may as well for $19. i checked out the manual for installation, and they basically just show a picture and give the torque values for nut and bolt.

so does it go something like this? (my chain will be loose since the rear wheel is off)

1) take off left bottom plastic & sprocket cover

2) remove bolt, pull off sprocket

3) take chain off stock sprocket teeth

4) line up new sprocket in chain

5) torque bolt back on, install covers

just like my tire removal question, any tips or tricks from those who've done this before? :)

PS: "driven sprocket" is just a fancy term for rear sprocket, right?

PS: "driven sprocket" is just a fancy term for rear sprocket, right?

yes.

also when removing the cover, if you take the clutch slave cyl off of the sprocket cover do not pull in the clutch. the job can be done without removing the slave from the sprocket cover. just leave the bolts in for the slave and remove only the cover bolts. it might sound complex on the computer but you will understand when you get in there.

yah, just remove the cover with the rest attached to it. it's kinda manually tricky and the whole cover then hangs by the hoses. if you can get a second set of hands to hold it out of the way while you do the sprocket change, it'll make it easier.

if i can do it :grin: anybody can!

ps don't overtorque those case cover screws, they'll twist apart like one of mine did!

If you do pull the clutch slave cylinder off, put a zip tie or rubber band or something to keep the piston for shooting out. It may stay for awhile but it will eventually be pushed out by the spring behind it. If it does come out you will need to bleed the line after you get it all back together. Like they said before don't put pressure on the clutch lever while its apart.

Dan

finished it today. took the clutch cover off with the slave cylinder still on it. out of 4 bolts you need to take 3 of them off. and hot damn, it was gunky in there. it was pretty simple. i did have to push hard on the cover to get it back on, as the one rod slid out a bit.

bike seems to pull a bit harder with the 16t, but of course i don't know how much of that extra pull is in my head. i don't hear any extra noise with this sprocket, even though it didn't have a rubber spacer.

thanks for the tips guy, i had this thread printed out by my side. :)