CBR1100XX.org Forum

Garage Floor Sealants/Floor Epoxy

N1K

Looking for input/feedback on these...

Has anyone done it? Pleased with results?

How do you prep the floor? I have a huge garage and the floor has a 1/4 inch crack down the middle... I kinda worry about water getting in there and freezing during the winter. In addition, the salt-water slush drains off my truck in the winter and soaks into the concrete... Then when I park my boat in the summer in the garage and water pools under it on the floor I get salt crystals forming on the cement...

So I'm wondering if I could seal up the crack and then epoxy over the entire floor?????

Thus preventing 'penetration' of water and salt into my concrete?

I'm not sure about what to put into the cracks, but maybe I can help a little on the floor paint.

Almost all paints applied to a garage floor will pull up when run over by rubber tires. (particularly tires that are up to temperature). The exception to this is the two part epoxy paints designed for concrete.

I used TileClad II from Sherwin Williams in the past, and will be putting it down on my new garage before I move in. There are other brands that are probably as good. Preperation of your floor is important. (You can't expect anything to stick if you try to put it down over an oil slick). For best results, you need to acid etch your concrete before you apply the epoxy paint. A good paint store will have the acid that you need. After the floor is painted with epoxy, it can get pretty slippery when wet. You can add little rubber bits to the paint to give you a little traction, but, I didn't on my last floor, and probably won't on the new one either. This coating is pretty bullet proof. It resists any type of spill. The company I used to work for used it in their plating room to contain any chemical spills. I found it tough enough to resist scratching from motorcycle centerstands. It is easily cleaned with a mop and household cleaners (simple green works well)

There is another one out there, same thing, epoxy paint....

I'll have to see if I can find it for you.

I also plan on painting my floor..... white! That way if I drop anything, I'll be able to find it instantly.

Hey Rodey... do you remember how much it cost?

I can't remember the price. I thought it was sort of expensive at the time. (about 12 yrs ago) You had to get a gallon of each and mix them. You may want to call a Sherwin Williams paint store for price and coverage because I couldn't easily find a price online.

It sure held up though.

Once you mix the stuff up, you need to use it all up. It will harden in the can.

Nik I would patch the crack and seal the floor with Stardek or Encrete. They are made for comercial stamped concrete and will stand up well to your aplication. You should be able to get some one to come in, patch the crack and re-coat it for $3-$4 per SqFt.

Nik, you can clean the floor with TSP cleaner or one recomended by the epoxy manufacturer. Make sure the crack is COMPLETELY dry :shock: . Then fill the crack with a commercial crack filler made for concrete. DO NOT USE ANYTHING THAT IS NOT FLEXABLE!!! When the concrete tries to expand and contract, it has to have somewhere to go. It you fill the crack with something HARD :shock: you will just get MORE cracks and there is a good chance what you put in there will crack and crumble too. Then it too will come back out. Expansion joints and saw cuts in concrete are put there to make the concrete crack where you want it to. If the joints are left out, then the concrete will make its own joints and they will never be where you want them.

The best epoxy based floor coating I've used is made by a company named Euclid Chemical. www.euclidchemical.com I think is the web site. We had it in one of our concrete labs and it is almost impossable to tear up or chip. They also sell the crack sealer.

Clean it, make sure it is DRY DRY DRY, fill the crack and let it dry, the put the epoxy on it. End of problems

Hope this helps.

I painted the floor in my old garage, great to keep clean but when wet was very slippery, imagine this, putting your XX away in the garage wet putting your foot on the floor and woops over she goes.

I would try and find some non slip paint, car dealers use this kind stuff on workshop floors.

Or mix the paint with sand to give a bit of grip maybe.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hear is another thought for ya.....

Sticky back Vynil Squares.

A friend of mine just got finished doing his whole garage floor with 1' black and white squares in a checkerd pattern. Looks awesome.

The benifit here is that if you F up a square, just rip it out and replace it.

• 1 month later...