CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Question

bluebird

My Bird is a 2000, still have the origonal tires, after 4 years on the bike the rubber looks kind of hard, do you think I should change them even though there is alot of life left in them, or wear them right down. They are Michelin Macadams, and have 13000KMs on them. And have any of you used Maxxis tires yet ?? These are highly rated in Europe.

Just wondering. Cheers, Peter. :?:

I'd guess at that age the grip is seriously compromised, but if it hasn't been a problem for you, then it's not a problem, eh?

No cracking or dry rot, and if they're gripping to your satisfaction, I say ride 'em out.

They are Michelin Macadams, and have 13000KMs on them. And have any of you used Maxxis tires yet ?? These are highly rated in Europe.

You obviously ride on the conservative side as the Macadams suck from the get go, and you're still riding on them after 4 years.

I would have lost them as soon as possible, but it's your decision. Are they weather cracked? If so, get rid of them ASAP. If not, it's your call.

As for the Maxxis tires, I wouldn't buy them after the runaround their US director of sales gave me a year and a half ago when I inquired about getting a set. I think one of the magazines tested them, and their comment was something like "They don't suck as bad as you would think". They also commented that they wore more than expected during the test.

Then again, they're made by Cheng Shin, so what would you expect....... :roll:

My Bird is a 2000, still have the origonal tires, after 4 years on the bike the rubber looks kind of hard, do you think I should change them even though there is alot of life left in them, or wear them right down. They are Michelin Macadams, and have 13000KMs on them. And have any of you used Maxxis tires yet ?? These are highly rated in Europe.

Just wondering. Cheers, Peter. :?:

Sounds like your not really riding so why waste your money on a silly thing like tires :shock: :poke:

I woulda got new rubber 2 yrs ago..... :shock: :grin: :wink:

What I should have said is, I bought the bike in 2002 and have only been riding it since March 2003 it only had 3000KMs when I bought it. So in a little over two and a half years it only gained 3000KMs.

Still sounds like you need to RIDE it. 1800 miles in a year and a half? :roll:

OR

Get some new tires and do a really smoky burnout with the old ones and get someone to take a pic and all will be forgiven :grin:

I had the original front on my bike and it was 5 years old.... when it decided to help me low side my bike while approaching a stop sign last year.

After discussing it with everybody on the board.... I'll never run another tire past 2 years old again... period.

Tires are cheap compared to bodypanels, :wink: trust me on this one... I know. :oops:

Just my .02

There's nothing wrong with being 50+. You pups might be lucky to make it that far. :lol:

(Edited to correct spelling. I can still ride, but sometimes I have trouble proof reading. :oops: )

There's othing wrong with being 50+. You pups might be lucky to make it that far. :lol:

Not saying old is bad...

but thats a little long to have tires on a bike !

Just means the bike isn't being ridden like it wants to is all...

Nothing wrong with it at all!

I know many "old" fast guys !

Hi Peter,

Let them laugh at your Macadams- I had them on my bike for 19,000km and they were fine. I kept up with at least half of the guys at Cody [and I would not have ridden much faster with better tires.

I know have Pilot Roads on the rear and they do stick a little better. Next week I will change my front Macadam for a Pilot Road.

BTW: it is a lot cheaper ordering tires from mail order places in the US and then going down to pick them up. I paid $340CAD [installed] in Kelowna for a rear when I got my flat there. I recently paid about $100US [incl. shipping and gas that is $133CAD] for the front, and it will cost $45CAD for installation. This is much better.

See you,

Tim

Hi Peter,

Let them laugh at your Macadams- I had them on my bike for 19,000km and they were fine. I kept up with at least half of the guys at Cody [and I would not have ridden much faster with better tires].

I know have Pilot Roads on the rear and they do stick a little better. Next week I will change my front Macadam for a Pilot Road.

BTW: it is a lot cheaper ordering tires from mail order places in the US and then going down to pick them up. I paid $340CAD [installed] in Kelowna for a rear when I got my flat there. I recently paid about $100US [incl. shipping and gas that is $133CAD] for the front, and it will cost $45CAD for installation. This is much better.

See you,

Tim

Hi Peter,

I run Pilot sports HPX's on mine and really like them.

we can meet up if you want to try them and you can take mine for a spin to try them first if you want.

pm me your number or set a time and place so we can meet

Cheers...Eric

Thanks guys. Think I'm going with the Avons. Big diference in price down south way cheaper. Thanks for the offer Eric. Anybody know how much duty on tires is. You know Tim theres 13000kms on those Macadams and still life left in them, but they are 4 years old and the rubber looks hard.

What the heck its only money.

Hey Blue [Peter],

re duty- why not just ship them to Blaine, Wash at a mail drop and then pick them up [i am not suggesting anything illegal :wink: ]? It is not just the taxes: UPS and others charge brokerage admin fees getting them through customs and then charge a fee for charging a fee-this is true :evil: . There are mail drops that will phone you when things are delivered to them and then you can pick it up.

Good hunting.

TimXX