CBR1100XX.org Forum

Why use 95 rr shock why not 954

doug funnies

been with the forum for a long time but never posted. Just traded in my 99 blackbird for a 1000rr. Never got around to asking why the 95 rear shock but now it's bugging me. I had a 954 rear shock on my 99 blackbird and it was 10 times better than stock. I realize a penske will blow this away but you can't tell me the technology in 95 is better than 2003. All it takes is a special dog bone. Anyone interested let me know

I think the 929/954 shock is longer than the bird's shock. You would need a longer dogbone about an inch longer, I think, to get it back down to the proper height. I have heard of some people putting 929 dogbones on the bird to lower the rear. Longer dogbone = lower Shorter dogbone = higher.

I have a fully adjustable dogbone on mine and have plenty of adjustment from WAY lower than stock to WAY higher than stock. At my lowest setting so far, I still had 3/4" of thread left to lower it more but I didn't want to scrape the inner fender on bumps and the launch.

The dogbone if I remember right is 1 3/8" shorter than a stock bird. As far as the spring goes leave it alone. I weigh 215lbs and all the way soft is plenty soft and I never went harder than 4 clicks from tight. I just took a trip to deals gap, 2000mi in 4 days. The bike was good on the highway, the suspension was amazing compared to my last trip on the dragon. The bike is just so damn heavy. I'll have my buddy teach me how to post pics tomarrow.

• 2 months later...

Cool ! :cool:

Let us know the results....

Maybe I'll buy one too...

Part Number: 52400-MCJ-831

Description: CUSHION ASSY., RR.

Price: $602.59

Part Number: 52400-MCJ-751

Price: $609.86

Part Number: 52400-MCJ-003

Price: $735.44

:shock:

All three for the 954...not sure what the difference is.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0384/rea...r_cushion_1.cfm

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a 954 shock from ebay for 20 +27 shipping, and i think im getting a used 1100 shock to play with.

When i get tehn in a couple of weeks,

Im hoping I can mix up some parts and come up with something usefull... But most likely i will end up with a

lot of useless oily parts ..lol