CBR1100XX.org Forum

AAARRRGGG WTF?

XX4me

I've been riding all week after work putting on 100-200 miles a night.

Tonight I head out for the weekly meeting of the Thursday Night Riders, a local sport bike group, hoping I'll be able to convince someone on a 2004 R1 to try a few roll ons. Just a friendly contest mind you to squelch all the trash talking about how the new R1 is Gods gift to the world of motorcycling.

We sit around the station for maybe 10-15 minutes then everybody starts prepping and heads out, except me.

My bike won't turn over!

AAAArrrrrgggggggg.

Battery is dead.

Well we push started it and she ran fine. The GPS showed 12.0-12.4 volts on the highway when I started out and rose to 13.4 by the time I'd riden the 15 miles home.

Looks like the battery is just starting to get weak. I did alot, maybe an hour, of around town riding prior to the not starting thing with the fan running constantly due to the heat. Guess it just didn't have the reserve amperage.

Bet that made you feel dumb! :wink:

It's so fucking embarrassing when something won't start in front of your friends :oops:

Check out the charging system, Forrest. You may have a bum regulator or stator. Probably more likely than a 2 year old battery, but anything's possible.

Trickle charge it for a day or so, and see how it works.

How old is your battery? Also, is the idle adjusted correctly? I just went through the same issues and found out:

A. Idle set 200 rpm below recommended 1100 rpm DRAWS 3 amps from the battery;

B. The service manager at the dealership I took my Bird to get checked out stated that there have been a lot of problems with the battery used in the newer model Birds, '01-'03 as I recall.

Mine gave out in less than 5 months. I had the older style battery put in (which was only $70 insttead of $170 for the new style) and it has worked great since.

insttead of $170 for the new style) and it has worked great since.

I paid $126 for mine (full price Honda dealer), so your dealer may have some expalining to do.

Hugo

I paid $126 for mine (full price Honda dealer), so your dealer may have some expalining to do.

Hugo

Hugo, the battery you purchased for $126, was that the older or newer style?

Bet that made you feel dumb! :wink:  

It's so fucking embarrassing when something won't start in front of your friends :oops:  

Check out the charging system, Forrest. You may have a bum regulator or stator. Probably more likely than a 2 year old battery, but anything's possible.

Trickle charge it for a day or so, and see how it works.

Hey Chris had my battery load tested tonight and everything appeared normal except for being under charged. I had forgoten about all the extra load I put on my system. I've got the water pump, heated the O2 sensor, assorted computers and lights and it all runs constantly. It may be that having the fan going as well as the accessories was just enough to deplete my batterys reserve.

The stock battery is a 12 volt 10 amps per hour capacity. I decided to go with a 12 volt 12 amps per hour capacity.

I may also install a few switches so I can disable some of the add ons when they're not being used.

The bigger battery fit just fine and was $48.00.

$~70 at my Honda shop. Did I get the right battery?

I even had to put the electrolyte in myself.

-Suf Daddy

Hugo

$~70 at my Honda shop.  Did I get the right battery?

I even had to put the electrolyte in myself.

-Suf Daddy

Sounds right to me. That's what I paid except the dealership prepped the battery with electrolyte.