CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch Fluid Replacement Problem......HELP!!!!!!!

willxx23

It all started out so easy....Open master cylinder.

Loosen bleed valve on slave, attach a hose.

Remove as much fluid from master as possible, fill with clean fluid.

Squeeze lever and hold, open bleed valve, close when it stops flowing fast.

Double pump and hold lever, open valve, etc. until it flows clean.

Then I guess the bird realized it was me doing this than it all went bad.. :cry:

Now there is zero clutch pull or feel, does anyone know what I have to do to make this right???thx.

Sounds like you have air in the line. You might try the old pump and bleed techinque, but it'll be easier if you get a Mitey-Vac. You can get one at AutoZone or equivalent for under $50.

Even if you have a pump spray bottle, you can rig it up so it will pull fluid through at the bleeder valve.

When you go in and remove all the old fluid and clean out the reservoir I like to keep the brake/clutch lever pulled in, that way no air can get in. Then top it off with the new fluid to start pumping.

Try this...

Turn the bars all the way to the right

Wait 5-10 min to let the air in the line rise

Barely squeeze the clutch lever, just enough to move the piston, keep doing this until no air bubbles up into the master cyl.

Now repeat the normal bleed process to make sure there's no air in the slave.

Thanks for all the help, I broke down and bought the mityvac, it worked really well and only took 15 min to get it right.

Now I'm ready for nexxt time. :grin:

I broke down and bought the mityvac,

That's actually next on my list, too. The manual bleed process for the clutch is easy. For the brakes.. it sucks.

Anyone using speed bleeders on brakes or clutch on their Bird? Had em on my old CBR900 and they worked really slick. Cable clutch though, shouldn't be any big difference on the hyrdraulic side.

Yuppers... They make a fluid change SOOOOO painless! It got a little pricey with the LBS, but it's still worth it IMHO...

How often should you bleed the clutch and replace the fluid? I've got an '02 bought new this year (leftover) with a smidge over 6K since breaking out in late February. Is it mileage based, year based, or what?

How often should you bleed the clutch and replace the fluid? I've got an '02 bought new this year (leftover) with a smidge over 6K since breaking out in late February. Is it mileage based, year based, or what?

I just know the fluid is supposed to look clear & clean not like Coca Cola. :shock: Thats when I change it.

The clutch fluid gets dark faster than my brake fluid I assume it's because you use it more than the brakes...... :headscratch:

The Mightyvac sped up the process quite a bit enough in my case to warrant the cost of it "about 50$".

Next up will be the brakes. :grin:

The clutch fluid gets dark faster than my brake fluid I assume it's because you use it more than the brakes...... :headscratch:

It's actually because the clutch fluid is exposed to engine heat for long periods of time, whereas the brake fluid is only exposed to heat for short durations, unless you're on a track.

Using a quality fluid (like 5.1 or RBF 600), will provide longer life before turning color.

Owners manual says clutch and brake fluid replace every 12k miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. I seem to be doing mine about twice a year, which is a good thing. :cool:

What are you suppose to use for clutch fluid? Just normal brake fluid or something else?

Per the recomendations of others I used dot 5.1 for my clutch, and will use the same for my brakes when the time comes for them. :cool: