CBR1100XX.org Forum

Things to inspect before 4000mile trip?

silverbird1100

I'm getting my bike ready for a pretty long trip and trying to think of everything I can to make sure I don't have any problems. I have 15,000 miles and replaced the stator at 14,000, just did the CCT and air filter. Anything you can think of would be great

Thanks.

Do you have a tire plug kit and spare blubs? Might be somthing to think about.

Hope you have a nice/safe trip.

Ken

On a more serious note.

Motrin, Jell pad for the seat, XM radio or walkman am/fm cd player, cd's of course, rain gear (depending on where your riding), cruise control, small bottle of fix-a-flat, check brake pads.

The bike will should make it just fine, get yourself mentally geared up. How many days are you doing the 4K? 3-4 days??

The bike will do fine.

Something I really liked having was a CamelBak water bag. I put it around my tank bag and kept the hose within easy reach for quenching my thirst while riding.

D) Hookers

I took alittle trip a couple weekends ago.. had planned on maybe a 1,000 miles but was cut short to 750, we stayed the night still.

packed into my Oxford pannier saddle bags

got pants, shirts, socks, drawers :wink: cell phone and charger, 2 maps, common tools plus my Honda tool kit, air gauge, air chuck, wallet, check book, sunglasses, spare visor, shampoo, soap, tooth paste and tooth brush, comb, Honda Racing hat, Windex wipes, anti fog spray, chewing gum, camera, binoculars, (came in handy a couple times) cable lock, Buck knife tool, copy of Cycle World for late night reading, and probably some other crap I have forgotten about.

Also taking a first aid kit, and tire kit is also smart to take. Buddy had them in his tank bag.

We were on the border of NC and Va off the Blue Ridge Parkway, and had very good signal.. But my phones battery was almost dead on the way down cause it was searching for a signal so much..

Phone card not a bad idea...

*** if you plan on using your credit card to pay for gas and stuff you might wanna call them to let them know your going on a trip***

Have heard of people traveling and getting there card turned down cause they CC company thought it was stolen from alot of small purchaces across several states.

Great stuff guys. Wondering about spare bulbs? where and how...

Spark plugs, I don't ride very hard but I do reckon my bike's on the rich side. Plugs will go 20,000 right? It's just a lot of work getting in there.

Tires will be brand new Dunlops but I worship the D220 so no getting around that...I'll use nitrogen though.

• 10 months later...

All the stuff mentioned by everyone else, but add...

Earplugs

Oil (probably won't need, but depending on what you run and where you'll be, you may not can get what you want)

Siphon hose (Most people will help you if you run out of gas, but can't get the gas from their gas tank to yours. A hose is small, cheap, and light)

Tye Wraps

Rain-X or Wax for face shield on rainy days

Advil if your old like me

Ragu lid, is a free sidestand plate.

Wal Mart has a $8 flashlight that is great. I'm going today to buy a 3rd one. (wife took my second one) 3 leds, very bright, uses 3 AAA batteries, comes with a halo so you can wear it on your head, and being LED, the batteries LAST.

I'll second the Camelbak. I don't leave home without mine. I find it shortens my rest stops and I don't have to pay inflated prices at stops for drinks. Mine holds 3 liters and I will sometimes empty it on long, hot rides.

Things you can't forget:

chain lube

visor cleaner

tire gauge

duct tape

fix-a-flat

bungee net

rain gear

Advil

zip ties

earplugs

multi-tool