CBR1100XX.org Forum

transmission question

AXXKicker

i was wondering if anyone else has noticed this....

sometimes, when the bike is in neutral, it's hesitant to snick into first. i'll pull the clutch & press on the shifter, but the bike remains in neutral. no amount of pushing on the shifter will budge the tranny- only cycling the clutch will allow for a somewhat noisy (grinding & audible clunk) move into first gear.

and sometimes at lights, i'll get caught in higher gears (say, 4th gear, stopped) and will have a hard time cycling down to either neutral or first.

anyone? anyone? bueller?

This is common. Not a problem, I mean common on almost all bikes. Next time it happens just roll the bike forward or backward a few inches and it should click right in.

Not to be out of line, but DOWNSHIFT for christ sake!

Think about coming to a stop light. Slowing down, almost to the stop bar, or stopped, when all of the sudden you hear screeching coming in from behind you. You look in your mirror to see billows of smoke and a car sliding right into you. Just punch it and get out of the way right? Nope you're in 4th, 3rd, 2nd gear? Bike just stalls and you're screwed. Very seldom do I even put in in neutral while sitting at a light, unless there's cars already stopped behind me.

That's a bad situation. Please try to stay out of it. Don't want any more riders down, especially forum riders.

Not trying to preach, just food for thought. :wink:

no offense taken. i DO downshift, but this geographic area can occasionally lend itself to coasting stops (not necessarily always at stoplights, as my first post indicated).

at redlights, with vehicles stopped behind me, i will admit to popping into neutral and sitting up, and that's where the question originated.

i've had quite a few road bikes, mostly honda's and i've just not noticed the problem to be quite as pronounced as on this one. perhaps its the low miles and not-quite-broken-in gearing? who knows.

thanks for the words or concern though :grin: .

i've not tried blipping the throttle as yet. next time i'm out and about, i'll be sure to give that a shot.

i've had the oil changed recently (for the first time), and since the service it hasn't been as bad.

i'll just keep on it.

it sure as hell isnt going to stop me from riding it :grin:.

Use your engine to help you brake up to a stoplight. I'll get all the way down to second before I hit the brake, then go from second to neutral. I always cover the clutch and gearshifter until a car stops behind me, but I don't sit at a light holding the clutch in. That is serious wear on the bearing that holds the clutch basket out, and I don't like looking like a Harley guy (they hold the clutch in for hours at a time).

i find this only at standstill, normal.

but if i'm rolling, not the case.

I just let out the clutch enough to spin the gears and pop it into gear.

Exactly what I do.