CBR1100XX.org Forum

H.I.D Lights

Dion

I'm toying with the idea and am looking for some opinions, Oops, now I done it :shock:

I know some of you have them and would like to know what brand, how you like them, and would you do it again. If anyone has any horror stories I'd like to know also.

Thanks guys,

D

Would highly recommend it!!! I've got HID on the low beam and am considering the high beam too. They only draw 35 watts so it's easier on the charging system. The XX headlamp reflector is ideal for HID - doesn't blind oncomming traffic (unless your 2-up) and really lights up the shoulders of the road (great for spotting bambi). Check out.....

http://www.xenondepot.com

Look for the H7 kits....the 4300k kits provide the brightest light while the 8000k kits put out that weird purplish light....which is OK if you are looking for the "bling" I guess. You will also need to cut up the stock headlight spacer to make the HID lamp fit.... Does anyone have the part # for the headlight bulb spacer? I think I paid $6-7 for a spare when I did mine. Good luck!!!

Edit......

Just went to this site (1st time in about 8 months) and damn!!!! A plug-n-play motorcycle kit for only $249!!!!! - including a phillips bulb and not some crappy asian bulb - I think I'm gonna do my high beam conversion sooner than I thought :grin:

If you're doing any kind of night time riding, I strongly recommend the HID.

I borrowed a bike with HID a few weeks ago, and those lights are awesome! :grin:

Prolly my next mod, once I get the present ones paid for...... :sad:

xenondepot.com is only 249.00. I know of at least 6 people who bought there and so far nothing negative.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is for one light.

The guy on Ebay is selling pairs for 280.

If you're doing any kind of night time riding, I strongly recommend the HID.

I borrowed a bike with HID a few weeks ago, and those lights are awesome! :grin:

Prolly my next mod, once I get the present ones paid for...... :sad:

Man. Deja vu. 2nd on all three comments.

I just ordered the low beam from Xenon depot. Depending on how much I like it will determine when I go with the high beam. I am under the impression that XD will do a "little better" if I order again. J

The guy on Ebay is selling pairs for 280

Yeah.... my bad :oops: However, dealer cost on HID bulbs is at least 60.00 - so between bulbs and ballasts, where is he making his money? sounds kinda fishy to me :?:

• 1 month later...
With the HID lights on the Bird, what is the warm up time till the lights arc? Has it affected your battery / starting etc?

They get hit with full voltage once power is applied and you get an instant flash. then the voltage is cut and they warm up to full output in maybe 5 seconds if cold. the hi is the same, if it's hot and you dip the high for a passing car and it hasn't cooled down much it'll come right back.

I haven't notice any impact on starting or battery. in fact they should be less of a drain than standard bulbs.

I was a little concerned with turning them on and off more than need be because I am sure that cycling them is more wear and tear than them just being on...

I took a signal off of the ignition to a relay so the low beam comes on and stays on with the key. It does not turn off with the starter... I am sure the purpose of the light going off when starting is to free up the battery for the starter, but she doesnt mind the little 35 watts (all of 3 amps-ish).

I feel a little warmer and fuzzier knowing that I am saving one cycle of starting and stopping every time I go out...

-John