CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Tire Advice

willxx23

Well searching and reading about 1,000 tire threads I am confused beyond belief so I'll just tell you my situation and you can go from there.

The tires I have on now are the Bridgestone 010 front and 020 rear and at about 5k they are shot, I am looking for a tire that can stand up to 400 miles a week commuting all freeway miles no twisty's unless you count on and off ramps. :wink:

So do I just get a truck tire fitted or is there such a tire that would be up to this? :grin: Thanks in advance.

Well you are riding a SPORT bike, and needless to say that means, sticky tires are all that's available.

That's one of the draw backs of supply and demand...In this case there is not a great demand for tires that get 15,000 miles and are like wet noodles. And..

It's a safety thing...

The tire manufactures and the motorcycle companies don't want you putting a set of "truck tires" on, that are hard as shit, and then piling it up into a guardrail and then trying Sue.

But I too have been looking for just alittle more mileage, and I think I will be going with the Michelin Pilot Roads.

Right after I find out what Dunlop is going to do about my last tire... if anything.

Well, you could just go back to OEM tires. Some people get 15k out of those (D205 or BT57 are OEM). They handle like shit, but some people get a lot of miles. Lots of people love the Pilot Road, better handling, maybe last nearly that.

I get about 7k from a rear Avon AV46 and around double that from the AV45 front. I only got 8k from the D205, so that's not bad for a sticky sport tire that handles great.

Thanks Eric and Carlos, I don't really want to go back to oem tires maybe I should just try a different brand like the Avons, It just seems that there aren't many choices for that type of use. :grin:

I just finished up a little vacation ride. 3000 miles of mostly straight and flat highway riding, combined with about 400 miles of twisties in and around the Deal's Gap area. I mounted up a pair of Michelin Pilot Roads before I left, and I really like these tires.

The rear tire shows a little flat spot, but nothing like I usually see after a lot of highway miles. I estimate that I can get at least 4000-5000 more miles from the rear tire. The front tire shows little wear at all, no signs of cupping, and should easily last through two rear tires.

For what it's worth, I usually go through a set of rear tires in under 5000 miles.

This is much more than just a mileage tire. These tires really stick in the turns. The profile seems to be a good match for the BlackBird. With all the previous tires I have had on this bike, I use the back tire all the way to the edges, but not the fronts. With the Pilot Roads, I now use all of the front tire as well. Turn in is good, and the bike does not try to stand up on me when I trail brake into a tight turn.

The new BT014's are supposed to be much better than the 010's and last longer. I've also heard good things about the Pilot Roads. Personally I just ordered a set of Continental Road Attacks to try. They are making inroads into the Sport-Touring market and have very good reviews in several publications. :)

I get about 7k from a rear Avon AV46 and around double that from the AV45 front. I only got 8k from the D205, so that's not bad for a sticky sport tire that handles great.

Wow, it's looking like I'll be lucky to get 4k out of my AV46. :sad: I was really hoping for more.

jimmystartup, when did they say they could get the Road Attacks to you? The earliest they said the road attacks would be in was on the 10th but more than likely the 20th. I had to cancel the rear road attack order and get an avon since I will be elsewhere on the June 20th. My rear is toast. Got 5K out of a dunlop 220, which is good considering my riding habits :twisted:

jimmystartup, when did they say they could get the Road Attacks to you? The earliest they said the road attacks would be in was on the 10th but more than likely the 20th. I had to cancel the rear road attack order and get an avon since I will be elsewhere on the June 20th.

I ended up calling SouthWest Moto Tires and ordering from them. The price was only ten dollars more and I already have them in my garage. The set they sent me is nice and fresh, just baked a couple of months ago. :grin: