CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shop flooring and lighting

SwampNut

My old black Harbor Freight foam tiles were becoming a mess.  I had some spares, and some time, and decided I'd blow 15 minutes replacing bad ones.

So yeah, 15 minutes..........  I learned that many of them no longer fit into spaces others were removed from.  They take some abuse, but mostly, they were shrinking and expanding randomly so they'd no longer fit/lock well together.  Some had become larger squares but flatter, some shorter and I suppose probably thicker, didn't measure those.  "Fuck this shit."  So I rip up a bunch of them and come to a realization; the shop is suddenly brighter.  Well fuck.  Physics dummy, a dull black surface kills light.

I shop around and find there are a bunch of wood-grain options that are actually quite pleasant to look at, and light colored.  And what's more appropriate for a wood shop?  I liked the light bamboo option, but took pine because it was more available, quickly.  So it's bright, and it's pleasant.  More than I thought it would be, I thought, "it's just a shop who cares."  Well for the first week every time I walked out there it shocked me and made me happy.

This is medium-density foam for walking comfort, not for motorcycles and sure as fuck not for cars.  I rolled a light bike on it and it was definitely pulling on them.  A bike rolled in straight and back out is probably fine, I had to make a corner.  I have never had a vehicle in this garage, but woke up with energy at 4am but it was uninhabitable outside, and wanted to work on it.  Garage is heated.  Oh, also of course the foam means you can walk barefoot.

I ran it around all the tools, like a standard shop, because it makes standing and walking far less impactful when you work in there for hours.

F44906FF-8C9E-407B-A901-69DA251BCCB6_1_105_c.jpeg

A69D4090-8D94-41BE-B9A7-14CEEC4F60A7_1_102_o.jpeg

Old shit.

4140493A-B5CE-437E-B092-61E450CED46E_1_105_c.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DM5XYV4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Aside from the effect it had on lighting, I picked up a six-pack of these cheap basic lights for $44, to provide easy fill-in lighting.  Places where shadows hit or I just wanted some extra fairly direct task lighting.  Places I couldn't hit with a shop light like under the garage door which is nearly always open.

5562EE53-097F-4C4E-8F60-34048D9965A8_1_105_c.jpeg

02EA26DF-EE4A-4E15-8D1A-F0675BC50C1A_1_105_c.jpeg

The LED chips were a bit directional and sharp, so I sanded the plastic tubes with my RO sander to make them frosted, easy.

102FFC6E-319E-4D69-BF41-CB3859B18D1B_1_105_c.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MT1VXM2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Useful/Thanks! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in those lights and they were 68 bux on amazon not 44.  damn inflation!🤔

Oh, guess I happened upon a deal.  But there is a 12% coupon at least.  Here they are with frosted lenses for $50:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/305180680976?var=604113234641

I don't know if you read the air compressor thread where I described doing a google image search for product images.  With Chinese commodities like these there are always multiple sources and they use the same pics, so easy to find a deal.

• Like 1