CBR1100XX.org Forum

High Blood Pressure -- fyi

CALCXX

Interesting variations.  You had a crazy low one, do you think it was measurement error?  I've been reading more about BP lately as my systolic has dropped a lot, probably from both better diet and lost weight.  But diastolic went up a little.  It looks like this is actually good.  On Wednesday I found out a good friend is at 160/75 which is probably really terrible.  The low diastolic with high systolic seems to correlate with more events.

17 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Interesting variations.  You had a crazy low one, do you think it was measurement error?  I've been reading more about BP lately as my systolic has dropped a lot, probably from both better diet and lost weight.  But diastolic went up a little.  It looks like this is actually good.  On Wednesday I found out a good friend is at 160/75 which is probably really terrible.  The low diastolic with high systolic seems to correlate with more events.

Hi, yep I think the low one was an error. That was with the LifeSource monitor I started with but learned after that the cuff size is too large for my arm diameter. I reached out to the Canadian Distributor on what model I need for the proper sized cuff (manual cites model X, retailers online offer model Xa) but have not heard back from them so I mooched another monitor, the PhysioLogic which seems to have a better fitting cuff for my arm diameter.

I have been reading a bit of Dr Google and taking BP readings seems o have a lot of variables at play down to the temp of the room at the time of the reading, what chair you are sitting in and how long it's been since you took a piss or shit. I know my BP is up but I am less confident of the accuracy of my readings.

Your friend with the 160/75 ... how did that number come to be? What were the conditions involved in getting that number?

2 hours ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

Your friend with the 160/75 ... how did that number come to be? What were the conditions involved in getting that number?

Not sure what you mean, it just is.  However, last night I found out that he had no clue how to properly measure BP.  He wasn't doing any of the right steps.  Sit down, feet flat, rest at least five minutes, test, and then test again a few minutes later.  He'd walk up to one of his bar stools with legs dangling (crushes leg arteries) or do it right after being outside/walking around.  WTF.  So we have no idea what's right.  At the doctor he was "only" 150/75.  He had been doing well on weight and diet until his obese, junk food making sister moved in and went back to eating junk.  So he's going to work on that again.  Also I've talked about him before, his knees are always in pain when he's eating junk, and limit his abilities, but he's fine if he eats well.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:33 PM, SwampNut said:

Not sure what you mean, it just is.  However, last night I found out that he had no clue how to properly measure BP.  He wasn't doing any of the right steps.  Sit down, feet flat, rest at least five minutes, test, and then test again a few minutes later.  He'd walk up to one of his bar stools with legs dangling (crushes leg arteries) or do it right after being outside/walking around.  WTF.  So we have no idea what's right.  At the doctor he was "only" 150/75.  He had been doing well on weight and diet until his obese, junk food making sister moved in and went back to eating junk.  So he's going to work on that again.  Also I've talked about him before, his knees are always in pain when he's eating junk, and limit his abilities, but he's fine if he eats well.

Sorry, I did not communicate well .. I just was wondering how this person got the number of concern; it sounds like it came about via a less than ideal process with the home monitor.  

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

How about yogurt?

What is your yogurt made from?  If it's made from cows milk, then it would not be good to eat your berries with it.

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

How about yogurt?

Non-dairy would be a great choice all around.  I find some of them better than cow yogurt, more tangy.

Posted (edited)

Mike, Walgreen model# WGNBPW Ver. A has been very consistent for me. The cuff is fully adjustable.

fwiw Mike, I stopped eating junk food a long time ago. That seemed to make the biggest differance you see,

I have always avoided sodium and don't drink anymore. Lost 63lbs.

EA248C85-AB03-4ED0-BF82-639287B8ED8A_1_201_a.jpeg

DFEAA050-B8A2-4D80-8E80-59AE104F79D1_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by CALCXX
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/12/2024 at 3:17 AM, CALCXX said:

Mike, Walgreen model# WGNBPW Ver. A has been very consistent for me. The cuff is fully adjustable.

fwiw Mike, I stopped eating junk food a long time ago. That seemed to make the biggest differance you see,

I have always avoided sodium and don't drink anymore. Lost 63lbs.

EA248C85-AB03-4ED0-BF82-639287B8ED8A_1_201_a.jpeg

DFEAA050-B8A2-4D80-8E80-59AE104F79D1_4_5005_c.jpeg

Look at you with the show off numbers 😀

Thanks for rec but I do think I read that the wrist ones could have less accuracy but I don’t recall how or why. 

I did the readings for two weeks and they stayed in that slightly higher that ideal zone, nothing crazy high. I call the doc who was away now until the end of April. Reception said they’d leave a not about my readings for the doc on her return.  I’m not too worried about it at this point but will continue to try to improve by making more healthier daily choices. To be continued ….

• Like 1