CBR1100XX.org Forum

What kind of rear spacers for the rear shock?

K-TOOL

Excuse my ignorance :headscratch: , but I am not quite sure what kind of spacers you guys are talking about. Are these just regular washers? I havent really gotten in there and looked but where are they installed. Is this an easy procedure. A buddy w/ a bird and I both want to try this mod.

Thanks for the help

You can use 3/8" SAE washers, about 3 thick, or body shims to get you 6mm of spacing (at least that's what I use, and it makes a huge difference, IMO).

If you just go with washers, you'll need to remove the upper shock mount to install them, but if you go with the body shims (square shaped with a slot cut into them), all you need to do is loosen the upper nut enough to slip them in, then re-tighten.

The bike handles better because of reduced rake and trail in the front when you raise the rear. Another benifit of this is that you increase your cornering clearance when at full lean in a turn.

:roll: centerstand and some way of getting some compression in your front forks to get enough clearance to get the upper shock bolt all the way out.

When I did it, I slotted the washers enough to slip on the bolt by just loosening it. The washers looked like a C. Basically made my own c shaped shimms where I wouldn't have to remove the shock at all. Just loosen it enough to put the ground off washers in and tighten it back up.

If you do make your own shimms, don't go wild with the grinder. Just cut enough to where the center opening goes straight out the side.

I have a centerstand for mine but it is not on it. The only time I put my bird up on the denterstand is when I work on it. My lower link and single exhaust make it impossible to keep my centerstand on the bike. Plus, without dual pipes, the leg sticking up for the stand kind of looks funny all by itself sticking out. :lol:

demon guided me through this mod and it took me all of 30 minutes to cut slots into 2 washers (dremel tool works well here) loosen the rear of the gas tank and elevate, loosen the shock nut, slip into place the washers and retighten. You will like the new feel of your BB, I promise.

I just slotted some washers....I love when folks don't read everyone's posts.

BTW, I did mine 3 years ago with the slotted washers, no movement, they have never come out.

MaXX