Jump to content
CBR1100XX.org Forum
Nova Scotia Mike

Rear Brake Pad renew

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

So there's maybe a pussy hair thickness of meat left on the rear pads on my bike. They don't make any foul sounds and seem to work pretty good, there's just hardly any pad left.

 

I picked up some EBC HH's and put on my grubby clothes to swap them out when I realized that my seemingly fully extended pistons are really crudded up. I'm not wanting to push them crudded up pistons back into my caliper and risk fuckin up the seals and/or introducing crud to the system.

 

What's the best way to clean such pistons? I sprayed with brake cleaner and scrubbed with an old toothbrush but have limited access (rear wheel still on, caliper still on bike).

 

Any tricks to get pin cap and pin out without removing left exhaust silencer? I don't think I have any screw drivers small enough to get in there as is and was hoping to not have to remove silencer for risk of fucking up seals.

 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pull the caliper. Hose it down with spay brake cleaner. Use a stiff nylon bristle brush or your ex girl friends toothbrush to scrub the grime off without damaging the piston seals. Press the pistons back in and reassemble. Now swap out the old brake fluid. Next go for a ride and hammer on the brakes to bed them in.

You can now drink heavily. Tomorrow look at the fronts as they are likely not far behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

I don't think I have any screw drivers small enough to get in there as is and was hoping to not have to remove silencer for risk of fucking up seals.

I have a Z shaped screw driver or use a screw driver bit and a box end wrench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Pull the caliper. Hose it down with spay brake cleaner. Use a stiff nylon bristle brush or your ex girl friends toothbrush to scrub the grime off without damaging the piston seals. Press the pistons back in and reassemble. Now swap out the old brake fluid. Next go for a ride and hammer on the brakes to bed them in.

You can now drink heavily. Tomorrow look at the fronts as they are likely not far behind.

 

Thanks Slappy, sometimes the truth hurts. When you say pull caliper, do you mean remove completely from bike and clean it up on the bench? Or could this be done without too much headache while removed from caliper mount but caliper still attached to brake lines? From what I read on here before I started this thread was a lot of guys having issue with air in lines after bleeding, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I have a Z shaped screw driver or use a screw driver bit and a box end wrench.

 

Thanks hawk, good suggestions. Will keep my eyes open for z drivers. Sound handy for lots of tight jobs.

 

Seems like I'll be removing caliper so getting at the pad pin & cover will not be tight and my silencer can stay where it is.

 

Thanks all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

 

Thanks Slappy, sometimes the truth hurts. When you say pull caliper, do you mean remove completely from bike and clean it up on the bench? Or could this be done without too much headache while removed from caliper mount but caliper still attached to brake lines? From what I read on here before I started this thread was a lot of guys having issue with air in lines after bleeding, etc.  

Just pull it off, leave the line connected, and work on it like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wicked good, thanks. It's too fuckin nice out today so I'm going to ride with the pussy hairs.

 

Will R/R the pads as per your suggestions soon.  

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a skinny bottle brush should let you get all around the piston without removal.  I don't know for sure as I've never bothered to clean them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use