CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air in clutch system

runninn

The clutch bleed should be easy.  But if you are having problems, and the lines and connections are not leaking, try getting a cheap vacuum bleeder from harbor freight to do it.

Do you happen to have another bike with a cable operated clutch?

A few years back, I was repairing a GSXR then jumped on the XX.

I was sure my XX clutch was busted. It was fine, my expectations had changed.

I have never had a problem bleeding the clutch, but it will never get firm like brakes.  And yes, I spent a long time one day bleeding the clutch before remembering that. 🤔😡😡

But if you are sure that you have air,. A myTvac from Harbor Freight will really help.

i usually have to put Teflon tape On the bleed screw threads to prevent from sucking air into the bleeder.

Does the clutch fully engage/disengage? If so, it probably doesn't need bleeding. Chasing clutch "feel" on a hydraulic clutch is usually a frustrating experience.

The only hydraulic circuit on a bike I've seen "make air" from sitting is the rear brake on SV 650s, seen it happen on two of them.  Other models may do this as well.  I believe the heating and cooling cycles every day manages to suck air past the piston seal in the caliper.

The clutch and front brake having their masters on the handle bar and the slaves a couple feet lower keeps fluid pressure against the slave seals.  YEAY GRAVITY!