CBR1100XX.org Forum

FS - 1997 Turbo XX

I'm going to be selling Hanks Turbo XX (I am only its current custodian) soon.  I simply have not had the time to clean her up from her winter nap.  I'll have to dig up all of the specifics on the bike as I began my custodianship of her about 4 years ago.  She is still in cherry condition.

If the weather cooperates this weekend I will add pics and pricing info.  For now, I live in the NW Chicago burbs, test rides are available after I have cash in hand and it is the most fun bike I have ever owned.

More to follow...

Edited by fredx

Guys, Fred is a very experienced motorcyclist and a good guy to deal with.

I felt like my bike went to the perfect home.
This is the best bike I ever owned in many respects.

I have many pics of the build and full details for anyone who gets past 2nd base with Fred ...B)

Teaser:

255 HP and 155 ft lbs TQ with the reliability of a stocker.
Carrazzeria wheels

Full Penske Suspension

Powdercoat

etc.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the first nice day will be Sunday.  I'll post up everything then.

billypf - I'm in the way western edge of WD.  Like Binne Rd past Randall Oaks golf course.

But ya, it's a ridiculous bike.  Ridiculously fast, ridiculously farkled, etc.

And for the record Hank, I am always game for going beyond 2nd base!

7 minutes ago, Furbird said:

Sounds like it's going to take "that DaveK money" to buy this one...:(

It is probably the best bird that one can buy. 

Sorry peeps, had some stuff come up this weekend.

So here goes:

FS 1997 Honda CBR1100XX turbo

Board price: $12,000

Built by HANKSXXX this bike has boost toggle between low and high.  According to the dyno charts Hank gave me when I took custodianship of this bike, it produces 235HP on low boost and 255 on high.

The bike is in immaculate condition with the following exceptions:

Corner of windscreen broke off as I tried to squeeze my fat ass between it and my car this winter and crrrrack.  A 1.5" piece broke off.

When I first moved to the Chicago area I parked it downtown while I had dinner.  It had been knocked on it's right side by the time I was done with dinner.  I replaced the right lower fairing with an OEM unit and there are minor scratches on throttle lock and rear brake lever.

The bike has all of the attributes associated with an adult kept bike.  100% garaged, waxed 2x a year, syn oil, etc.  I spared no expense in the maintenance and care of this bike.  I believe Hank can provide the technical details of this bike better than I (if you are cool with that Hank).  The bike will be sold with all farkles shown in pics.

And here are some pics:

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

I saw this bike in person and road with Hank the few times with him on the XX and it is the nicest bird I have seen from the rear:)

Edited by googus
  • Upvote 1

I think I still have the Motorcyclist magazine article about this turbo kit back in 97 or 98.  There can't be too many companies even back than making turbo kits for carb Birds.   I remember the tester saying it was so easy to do roll on wheelies at 100 mph.

1. 17 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I think I still have the Motorcyclist magazine article about this turbo kit back in 97 or 98.  There can't be too many companies even back than making turbo kits for carb Birds.   I remember the tester saying it was so easy to do roll on wheelies at 100 mph.

On 4/29/2016 at 7:50 PM, MDRSK said:

On 4/29/2016 at 7:50 PM, MDRSK said:

Dunno whats with the formatting but Blackhawk, you're close.

Mark Moisan, the guy who developed the turbo kits in 97-98 is an old friend.
He built those kits with an Aerocharger variable vane turbo which had a self contained oiling system.

Because of the turbo design, they would self destruct if pushed over 240HP or so.

His company was called American Turbo Systems and he got lots of press for his carbed BB kits.

One of the magazines tested the bike at Daytona and hurt the motor with an extended top end run.
Mark knew this was a make or brake moment and asked the magazine if they'd retest the bike again the next day.
They said sure and over nite, he dropped the motor and put a set of pistons in it.

He did this in the motel parking lot and he arrived for the test the next day, on time.

They retested the bike and came back with a glowing review.

Mark built 2 customs kits later which were completely different.

He had no intention of selling them but finally let them go as he realized he'd never use them.
One went to a drag racer from Colorado.
The other sat in his garage until I called him...

My sign in name of HanksXXX is a tip of the hat to Mark.
His original kits included decals for the fairings that looked stock but had XXX instead of XX...:)

Edited by HANKSXXX
  • Upvote 2

This is nearly a "once in a lifetime" deal. My dreambike anyway! It appears that everything has been done FIRST CLASS, correctly and cleanly. This bike is gorgeous and pretty stock looking. As a side note, it really isn't anyone's business how much Fredx paid for it, Hank pretty much says he's got over $20k. At $12k, we can take it or leave it. I do have a couple questions for Hank or Fred, can we assume that the left side is as clean as the right side showing in the pix? Also, what kind of MPG can be expected under "normal" driving, in case someone wanted to do traveling? 

Thx,

ominousone

Except as Fred noted, both sides are stock and mint.
I dis-assembled all the plastic every winter and used a very fine polishing compound, followed by wax.

I cleaned the motor, frame, suspension, everything prior to reassembly.
I had a number of guys ask what kind of paint I used when I repainted it....Nope, 100% original.

It gave 42+ MPG.

Suspension btw, is a Penske triple clicker on the rear and Penske Super Sport compression and rebound valves in the front.
I tried 2 or 3 other brand valves along with different spring rates.
I also tried a Penske double clicker prior to the triple clicker.
Forks and shocks were set up on a dyno.
Bike is lowered slightly with lots of trial and error due to the location of the intercooler.
Fred mentioned he thought I'd fill in the blanks and I'd be more than happy to try.
Thanks for the compliments and the interest.

Hank

• Upvote 1

Yes, both sides are 100% OEM and mint with the exceptions I listed above.  I'm on a biz trip the next few days but will be listing it on the usual sites in the next week or so.  Also shipping a kid off for the summer soon so forgive me if I don't post immediately.  If interested PM me and I'll shoot ya my cell.

Thanks for the "fill in" Hank.  You know I like it that way.

• 9 months later...

Almost a year since I listed this.  Wow.  I know I'm old as I barely noticed.  And ya, I rode it a grand total of 3 times last summer.  Ridiculous.

So my boy is 15 and when he turns 16 I need garage space for the car that will relieve me from driving his ass around.  Obviously I'm not in a hurry to sell this masterpiece but will drop the price just to get it a nice home for the upcoming riding season.

The first $9,900 that finds it's way into my wallet gets it.

And if anyone wants to buy my 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S let me know.  I need to get her out of my driveway too...