CBR1100XX.org Forum

Centerstand with aftermarket pipes

Chizuck

Howdy all,

This is actually my first post to this chat group, although I've been monitoring the site since I started looking to buy a 'Bird back in the spring. Can't tell you all how informative and entertaining it is, a hearty thanks goes out to Swampnut and the other central players that keep this circus going.

I'll post a profile to give a little more background about myself once I figure out how to work my digital camera, but for now I've got a quick question: I did manage to get a 'Bird in late July (had to drive from Virginia Beach up to CT to get it) and have been riding it nonstop ever since. It's a '99 (black, of course) and the guy I bought it from had installed an aftermarket exhaust routed to the right side with a couple Two Brothers carbon fiber pipes stacked vertically. It looks pretty trick, but in order to install it he had to remove the centerstand, and told me that to reinstall the centerstand I would have to get some sort of stop or bumper or something to prevent it from hitting the exhaust. I have the centerstand and all the hardware (I think) needed to re-attach it, but I don't know what this bumper thingie should look like or where to get one.

Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? Would I be better off just getting a service stand for the bike? It's coming up on 15K and needs some chain lubing, etc. and having a way to get the rear tire in the air would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Chuck

I agree, a stand would be your best bet. I put the full D&D system on my bike, what happens is once you remove the muffler from the left side there is nothing there to cover the protruding leg of the center stand that will be left sticking out. It looks rather ugly, take it from me, instead of spending all of your time putting everything back together. I am sure anyone else who has switched to a single pipe set-up will agree. Hope this helps

Sorry, I don't agree. I have a D&D full system, and they come with the stopper to retain the center stand. I kept mine because it makes it so much easier to work on the bike without worrying about it falling over. Why buy a swingarm stand when Honda gave you one for free? Maybe somebody who dumped their center stand when they put their exhaust on will sell/give you their center stand retaining bracket.

Chizuck,

Call Two Brothers Racing (www.twobros.com) and just order the centerstand stop, extra long hex bolt, washers, and locknut from their full system for the Blackbird. It's everything you need to install the centerstand bracket and it costs about $20. That's the route I used and it works great.

Colin

It sounds like you have the centerstand. The stock bumper is a little rubber pad on the underside of the left muffler.

Without a left muffler, you will have to fabricate something. What about that TwoBros bracket. Is that something to be used with a 4-1 pipe that attaches elsewhere on the bike??

Without the left can, it probably would look strange with that "lift foot" on the centerstand sticking way out. You could probably cut it off and shorten it, and then welded back on, so that it was still usable but will not stick out so far.

Steve

What about that TwoBros bracket.  Is that something to be used with a 4-1 pipe that attaches elsewhere on the bike??

Yes, it's used to support the centerstand in the up position for any full system that elimates the left muffler. I'm using this Two Bros piece with my Muzzy full system, as the Muzzy bracket didn't fit for some reason. The bracket is installed on the left side by the shock link.

-Remove the shock link socket bolt (frame side)

-Place the bracket (it fits perfectly against the frame)

-Insert bolt using a washer under the bolt head and on each side of bracket

-Torque new lock nut to 43 lb-ft.

I sourced my own longer bolt but I noticed some surface rust on it after a few weeks, so I ordered a Titanium Hex Flange Bolt M10X85X1.25 from RaceBolts.com. It would have been easier for me to just get all the hardware from TwoBros.

-Colin

Just ordered a Micron Race Stand for 107.00 shipped to SoCal. I felt is was worth the money for the stand for two reasons: 1. Loss of weight. I went w/ the Akra full system and the weight loss feels so good, I don't want to add any w/ replacing that heavy ass center stand. 2. It looks like shit.

Lance

Just something to think about,

I've had a situation where I needed to remove both my wheels at the same time (tires re-mounted and balanced) and it helped retaining my centerstand when I went to the 4-2-1 Yoshimura exhaust system. I bought the Pit Bull front wheel lift adapter for my lift. I didn't need two lifts to perform this procedure because of the centerstand.

Granted, it might not be often you will need both wheels off at the same time...

Joe

Thanks for all the feedback. I hadn't considered the aesthetic aspect of having the centerstand kick-down bar sticking out to the left with no pipe there to cover it up - I think I'll go with a swingarm stand. And I think I may use the $100+ it would cost me to buy one as justification to get the welder I've been looking at and then fabricate my own...

A man can never have too many tools.