CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear sprocket advice

BarryG

I'd personally go Steel for sprockets... I've not tried the anodized aluminum sprockets, but I gather that, on the XX, they only last in the neighborhood of ~6,000 miles, and will prematurely fuck your chain up as they wear, since they wear faster than the chain...

Mike

Why because, it would have also corrected your odometer error while not really affecting your gearing, or at least not enough to tell.

No biggy.... :icon_biggrin:

WHAT?

You can't correct the error without changing the gearing....(unless you do it electronically)

Besides -1T on the rear wouldn't help much at all maybe 1%

Why because, it would have also corrected your odometer error while not really affecting your gearing, or at least not enough to tell.

WHAT?

You can't correct the error without changing the gearing....(unless you do it electronically)

First off, It's an easy assumption to think that because the Speedometer and Odometer are connected in the same device that they will be out of calibration by the same amount, but in reality they are 2 seperate mechanisms mounted togeter and working in relation to each other by internal gearing.

After a hole gob of testing, with another personnal friend of mine, and through various methods like GPS, Wheel Measured, triangulation, Timing, calibratable speedometers and odometers, and various Other poeple here on the site. I was able to come to the conclusion that my 99 XX with a Half worn Rear tire, had a speedometer error of about 6.0 - 6.2%. Additionally I also was able to arrive at the conclusion that the Odometer had an error of about 2.6 - 2.7%.

The stock gearing is a Rear/ Front combo of 45/17, which if divided out gives you a number value of 2.6471.

If you change the Rear sprocket to a 44 giving you a 44/17 combo, the value changes to 2.5882, for a difference of 2.28%.

Hence the 44/17 combo will corret you Ometer within 0.3 - 0.4%. Additionally it will bring you Speedometer error down to around a flat 4%.

Now if you change the combo to a 45/18, that value changes to 2.5, for a difference of 5.88%.

Hence the 18/45 combo will bring your Speedometer to within approximately 0.1 - 0.3%, and over correct your Odometer by about 3.1%. At which point you will not be reading as many miles as actually traversed.

So all you need remember is..

... stock gearing of 45R/17F... + 6.2% spedometer reading error and +2.6% Odometer reading error.

...........................44R/17F... + 4 % speedometer reading error and + 0.4% Odemeter reading error.

...........................45R/18F... + 0.3% speedometer reading error and - 3.1% Odometer reading error.

I also find it ammusing how those numbers all coinside...... strange, but cool at the same time.

And if you don't believe me, you can either start testing for yourself or.... ask my Wife, my Dad, or My close Friend... they all thought I was crazy while I was conducting all these various tests... "FOR WHAT!"... they would say. To which I would answer... "Because I want to!" :icon_biggrin:

Well I got the new ZVM and F/R sprockets installed. Bike runs noticeably smoother although do a hear a little more whine now...but been reading that's to be expected with the JT steel sprockets. Anyway the XX goes like a raped ape as expected and feels much better now.

WHAT?

First off, It's an easy assumption to think that because the Speedometer and Odometer are connected in the same device that they will be out of calibration by the same amount, but in reality they are 2 seperate mechanisms mounted togeter and working in relation to each other by internal gearing.

After a hole gob of testing, with another personnal friend of mine, and through various methods like GPS, Wheel Measured, triangulation, Timing, calibratable speedometers and odometers, and various Other poeple here on the site. I was able to come to the conclusion that my 99 XX with a Half worn Rear tire, had a speedometer error of about 6.0 - 6.2%. Additionally I also was able to arrive at the conclusion that the Odometer had an error of about 2.6 - 2.7%.

The stock gearing is a Rear/ Front combo of 45/17, which if divided out gives you a number value of 2.6471.

If you change the Rear sprocket to a 44 giving you a 44/17 combo, the value changes to 2.5882, for a difference of 2.28%.

Hence the 44/17 combo will corret you Ometer within 0.3 - 0.4%. Additionally it will bring you Speedometer error down to around a flat 4%.

Now if you change the combo to a 45/18, that value changes to 2.5, for a difference of 5.88%.

Hence the 18/45 combo will bring your Speedometer to within approximately 0.1 - 0.3%, and over correct your Odometer by about 3.1%. At which point you will not be reading as many miles as actually traversed.

So all you need remember is..

... stock gearing of 45R/17F... + 6.2% spedometer reading error and +2.6% Odometer reading error.

...........................44R/17F... + 4 % speedometer reading error and + 0.4% Odemeter reading error.

...........................45R/18F... + 0.3% speedometer reading error and - 3.1% Odometer reading error.

I also find it ammusing how those numbers all coinside...... strange, but cool at the same time.

And if you don't believe me, you can either start testing for yourself or.... ask my Wife, my Dad, or My close Friend... they all thought I was crazy while I was conducting all these various tests... "FOR WHAT!"... they would say. To which I would answer... "Because I want to!" :icon_biggrin:

Yeah this has been discussed quite a bit on the BIRD site as in the UK and here in Aus the stock gearing is I believe 17/44 :icon_think:

• 7 months later...
I was thinking about going the 45R/18F route and called a local shop just cruzing for prices. They told me I would also have to replace my chain at the same time. Does that jive?

What local shop did you talk to? Some will and some won't......

I just called Pro Caliber over in Vancouver for a quick and dirty price check. I wouldn't buy from them but wanted to get an idea of local vs. WBR or another online shop. If you have any suggestions for local shops, please pass them on.

Thanks - PC

I just called Pro Caliber over in Vancouver for a quick and dirty price check. I wouldn't buy from them but wanted to get an idea of local vs. WBR or another online shop. If you have any suggestions for local shops, please pass them on.

Thanks - PC

EDR Perfomance

1319 NW Johnson St Portland, OR 97209 | 503.222.RACE (503.222.7223) fax 503.224.2315

Tuesday - Friday 9:30am - 6:30pm | Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm

link

Well I got the new ZVM and F/R sprockets installed. Bike runs noticeably smoother although do a hear a little more whine now...but been reading that's to be expected with the JT steel sprockets. Anyway the XX goes like a raped ape as expected and feels much better now.

How many miles did you have on the bike when you changed them?

Durability of JT steel sprockets is nowhere near O.E.M. or even Sunstar.My front JT looked like crap after about 23k miles on ZWM2 chain,,replaced with some used-brand-new-looking Sunstar.Chain was replaced at 30 k miles.

Same deal with rear,,,,,while O.E.M looked brand new after 2 chain lives,there is noticable wear on my rear JT barely after one chain.

Don`t even bother with aluminium sprockets if durability is your goal,hard anodizing,titan tough,etc,does not matter,they don`t last.

Durability of JT steel sprockets is nowhere near O.E.M. or even Sunstar.My front JT looked like crap after about 23k miles on ZWM2 chain,,replaced with some used-brand-new-looking Sunstar.Chain was replaced at 30 k miles.

I've run a JT sprocket on my big bore for over 20K on the same chain, with very little noticeable wear. The stocker after 30K was badly worn in comparison, with a stock engine.

I would not hesitate to use another JT sprocket, and have installed a few for friends with great results.

How many miles did you have on the bike when you changed them?

A little over 20K on orig chain, sprockets when I changed them.