CBR1100XX.org Forum

An easy way to check your brake-pads

YO

Hi Birdies,

An easy way to check your brakepads is holding a mirror under the brake-caliper, shine with a flaslight on the mirror, the mirror will focus the light on your brakepads. Works even better in the dark.

Now you don't have to kneel down and damage your nose on the pavement :icon_biggrin:

IPB Image

Now you don't have to kneel down and damage your nose on the pavement :icon_biggrin:

Did you know Yo is famous in Holland for having his nose on the pavement?

Just ask him why, you'll never believe it...... :icon_biggrin:

Sorry Yo, just had to share...... :icon_redface:

• 1 month later...

I just have one caution about using this method. I had recently checked my front brake pads by using the nose on the pavement method and they looked fine. Two days ago I noticed that the front brakes pulsed some as I came to a stop, so I decided to do a more thorough brake checking. What I found was that the part of the front left caliper outer pad that I couldn't see using the nose on ground method was worn to the metal.

Hopefully the rotor wasn't damaged. I ordered some EBC pads and hopefully will be back on the road next week. BTW, I rode through 2 ungodly rainy days :icon_twisted: here in the Seattle area where we had record flooding and now that the weather's nicer I'm stuck waiting on pads :icon_frown: .

I just have one caution about using this method. I had recently checked my front brake pads by using the nose on the pavement method and they looked fine. Two days ago I noticed that the front brakes pulsed some as I came to a stop, so I decided to do a more thorough brake checking. What I found was that the part of the front left caliper outer pad that I couldn't see using the nose on ground method was worn to the metal.

Hopefully the rotor wasn't damaged. I ordered some EBC pads and hopefully will be back on the road next week. BTW, I rode through 2 ungodly rainy days :icon_twisted: here in the Seattle area where we had record flooding and now that the weather's nicer I'm stuck waiting on pads :icon_frown: .

I'll second Harald. And add this comment. My inner left side pad was worn to the backing plate. :icon_redface:

Only the lower part was worn all the way, there was considerable taper across the pad. So unless you are sure that the pads are wearing evenly I would be careful not to miss any part of the pad during your inspection.

Brakes and tires.................the two most important items in safe riding. I keep a spare set of tires and brake pads in the garage at all times. My VFR and XX use the same size tires and the same pads. Saves on inventory costs.

At 26K my Mr. Honda OEM's still had 3/16 inch all around. Wear was even. I installed a set of EBC HH pads anyway because of a long trip. Rotors cleaned, and the glaze was knocked off with sandpaper.

The bike stops so much faster. The glazed rotors must have been worse than I thought. I was able to change them with the wheels on the bike. I did remove the front fender. I will now inspect and de-glaze more often.

I know some still don't approve, but I continue to rotate my front pads so the wear stays even with no ill affects.

If I can avoid blowing $60 just for one worn out pad out of 4 I will.

Well I changed out my EBC HH front pads about a month ago. Although it was the back that wore out I put the 1/2 used front pads ( EBC HH ) in the back to replace the stock pads that were just starting to grind on the rear disc :icon_eek: and I figure they will still last a good while seeing as the backs seem to get used up a lot slower than the front.

Hmmmmmmmm, wasn't there video relating to this story? :icon_redface:

Hmmmmmmmm, wasn't there video relating to this story? :icon_redface:

No, not with this one (although he made the national newspapers with his story).

The video you mean was of the President of the Dutch CBR-club, who had to ride his bike from the showroom to the workshop (200 meters), and crashed after 2 meters (rear wheel slide) without wearing his helmet.

• 2 months later...

I know some still don't approve, but I continue to rotate my front pads so the wear stays even with no ill affects.

+1

K

I do the same thing. I save the thickest pads and replace the tinest with them. Nothing wrong with being frugal. (Spelled: CHEAP)

No performance degregation noted.