CBR1100XX.org Forum

Make out between different models by looks

novice

I'm relatively new to bikes and planning to get a Honda CBR 1100 xx. Before going down to further technical side, I thought of starting from the scratch. Would it be possible for someone to tell me how to differentiate between different models from the physical appearance of a Honda CBR, without getting into the specs? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks

There's a really good thread on this in important threads

Simply looks?: 97-98 both black, center gauge is a speedo, windshield is flat.

99 black, gauge cluster has a red FI light on it

00 Titanium, and that's about it

01 Candy Red, "pop up" windshield, digital dash

02 "Fastest" Silver

03 Back to black, but with digital dash

02 "Fastest" Silver

Thanks alot, a much needed help to start off with. :)

I'm relatively new to bikes and planning to get a Honda CBR 1100 xx. Before going down to further technical side, I thought of starting from the scratch. Would it be possible for someone to tell me how to differentiate between different models from the physical appearance of a Honda CBR, without getting into the specs? Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks

02 "Fastest" Silver

Novice : This is of course assuming you are in the USA, in other parts of the world, ie here in Australia and in Europe they were available in different colours, my 98 is Titanium and later models were available in blue, also on the FI bikes the front tube on the mufflers "collectors ?" is thicker than on carb bikes, the carb bikes have mesh in the nose intakes on the front fairing, only FI bikes have HICS system I believe. :icon_wink::icon_whistle:

Would it be possible for someone to tell me how to differentiate between different models from the physical appearance of a Honda CBR, without getting into the specs?

Are you looking for the difference in models of the CBR line, or simply years of the CBR1100XX ?

Would it be possible for someone to tell me how to differentiate between different models from the physical appearance of a Honda CBR, without getting into the specs?

Are you looking for the difference in models of the CBR line, or simply years of the CBR1100XX ?

I'm sorry for the confusion, I'm not in US, Europe, Asia, Australia. Me in Kuwait and I beleive I have a good offer on a Honda CBR 1100 xx. Since I'm new to Bikes I thought of learning how to differentiate models from each year. Hope someone can help me from here. Thanks

02 "Fastest" Silver

"02 Fastest" What do you mean fastest? Im a newbe to XX please help.

Stephen

"New to Bikes"?? Exactly what do you mean by that?

If you really have little or no experience riding motorcycles, I doubt anyone here would recommend a Blackbird as a first bike, even if it is a great deal. It IS a bike that is REALLY easy to get into a lot of trouble on -- even an 80 to 100HP bike can get you into a lot of trouble, but this thing makes almost 140 HP at the rear wheel when it is completely stock. Unless and until your motorycle handling skills are instinctive, this is one of the very last bikes I'd recommend buying (along with the Hayabusa, ZX 11, 12 and 14, and any of the liter sport bikes out now).

I'm sorry for the confusion, I'm not in US, Europe, Asia, Australia. Me in Kuwait and I beleive I have a good offer on a Honda CBR 1100 xx. Since I'm new to Bikes I thought of learning how to differentiate models from each year. Hope someone can help me from here. Thanks

You are NEW to bikes? And looking at XXs? Good luck to you !!!

Insiders joke -- we all tease one another that our bike's color is the fastest. I've had a '97 and an '03, both of which are black. So . . . naturally, black is the fastest color, no matter what others will tell you. :icon_wink:

Insiders joke -- we all tease one another that our bike's color is the fastest. I've had a '97 and an '03, both of which are black. So . . . naturally, black is the fastest color, no matter what others will tell you. :icon_wink:

I thought the '03 metallic black was the fastest... :icon_whistle:

02 "Fastest" Silver

Saaaayyyy, you wouldn't be favoring a certain year or color would you :icon_whistle: because acording to the data that I have, the 01 Candy Red is about 15mph faster than any of the other years and colors...

02 "Fastest" Silver

One more small difference was the windscreen was raised slightly in '01 to give a little more wind protection. It has a small "bubble" built into it.

Oh BTW, +1 on the candy red being about 15 mph faster.

K

One more small difference was the windscreen was raised slightly in '01 to give a little more wind protection. It has a small "bubble" built into it.

Oh BTW, +1 on the candy red being about 15 mph faster.

K

Think that's what he meant by 'pop up' windshield there.

If you really have little or no experience riding motorcycles, I doubt anyone here would recommend a Blackbird as a first bike, even if it is a great deal. It IS a bike that is REALLY easy to get into a lot of trouble on -- even an 80 to 100HP bike can get you into a lot of trouble, but this thing makes almost 140 HP at the rear wheel when it is completely stock. Unless and until your motorycle handling skills are instinctive, this is one of the very last bikes I'd recommend buying (along with the Hayabusa, ZX 11, 12 and 14, and any of the liter sport bikes out now).

Thank you so much for all your concerns, but it looks like I'm already addicted as this has been in my mind for awhile now and I dont want take a step back from this. :) I just hope everything turns out fine with this Honda XX... really a good learning experience here in this forums. All of you are really cool and I'm glad to be a member for this site. Keep up the spirit!

Try the Brit Bird site as well. However if you are new to bikes I agree, a litre bike is not the best choice. Buy the Bird as well as a bike half its size then in a year you'll be able to ride your Bird. Just curious, did you teach yourself to ride :icon_naughty: or did you get training at a proper bike "school"? :icon_angel: Personally I believe a friend or whomever can teach one to ride but a proper school will teach you "how to stay alive". Both my daughter and my son in law, ride, both went to one of the best riding schools in our city, and there are 3-4 schools. Several of my students ride, all took a rider safety course. For what it's worth I ride an '02 Metalic Cherry Red, and believe me, it's fast enough for me. It's faster than I am brave.(100,000 kms in 5 years). Cheers.

Thank you so much for all your concerns, but it looks like I'm already addicted as this has been in my mind for awhile now and I dont want take a step back from this. :) I just hope everything turns out fine with this Honda XX... really a good learning experience here in this forums. All of you are really cool and I'm glad to be a member for this site. Keep up the spirit!

The "02" is the fastest... :icon_whistle: ...But, :icon_biggrin: