CBR1100XX.org Forum

Helicoil...

Squareman357

Was helping/watching one of my cousins friends change the oil in his GSXR. He forgot lefty loosy, righty tighty and stripped the oil drain bolt hole threads. He was considering his options (we got it tight enough for him to slow ride home, which was only a few miles of local steets) and I thought about Helicoil. Is this a recommended option? If so, where does he purchase one and what do you have to do to install it?

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Some of the larger hardware stores have Heli coil kits, but McMaster Carr is your best bet for larger metric sizes. You can buy a kit that will have everything you need with instructions. Another option I've seen done before is to simply tap out the hole to the next largest pipe thread. Pipe thread is tapered, and taps and plugs would be available at most hardware stores.

Check your local auto parts store (AutoZone, or whatever). The one local to me actually has a pretty comprehensive set of Helicoils, including metric sizes.

The other option is "oversized" bolt.It is aftermarket solution to stripped oil pan treads.Years ago I stripped one on my FJ1200.The replacement worked like a dream.

It basically has a taper on the end and couple slots to cut slightly oversized treads.I guess in order for that to work there has to be some tread left to guide oversize one in.It costs 3-4 bucks,and it is lot less work then heli coil.You need to know the size of O.E.M. bolt ( like M14X 1.25) to pick up correct one.

Or take the O.E.M. with you,should be able to figure out the tread by comparision.

You can find them in auto parts stores,pep boys,murphie`s (sp?),etc.