CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX power output supply

The Krypt Keeper

Lets just say I wanted to add a new farkle to my XX.

This new toy has a 12V 40amp relay switch going to it. :icon_eek:

I will never use it while the bike is not running. Will the XX be able to handle something with this type of power draw to accessories?

This is a cool toy so I want to know before I add it on and post it up on here.. :icon_lol:

Guest rockmeupto125

12V 40amp relay switch going to it.

That concerns me.

At least as concerned as I would get about somebody else's bike......

What in the hell do you have that draws 40 amps?

Are you sure your farkle draws a true 40 amps, or is the relay that you have for it rated for a 40 amp load? It's a little strange because most heavy duty 12V relays are 30 amp rated. You need to double check the true draw of that farkle.

Guest rockmeupto125

Okay...lets say you are in the business of manufacturing a farkle.

Now, any time you build something, you need to overbuild it a little. Cuz you know things happen that put some extra stress on nuts, bolts, wires, etc. You could overbuild it a lot, but that generally doesn't work out well. It costs more, and gains virtually nothing, because if the device works right, the stress area you have overengineered for is so high that the thing next to it breaks instead.

With that in mind, lets consider your manufacturers choice of a 40 amp relay. Your buddy has one with a forty amp relay as well, so its not a fluke. The builder chose a 40 amp relay rather than a 30, or 20. What makes a relay support higher amperage is heavier construction and more windings....which cost more. So your manufacturer specifically chose that relay rather than a cheaper one. That indicated that the manufacturers thinking is that under some circumstances, that piece of equipment just might draw over 30 amps. Maybe. Considering the 40 amps is the "overbuilt" rating, lets take a presumed 30 amps as the probable maximum draw this device has.

13.5 volts x 30 amps = 405 watts.

So this thing might use 405 watts of power. DAMN. That's a lot. Look at the fuses in your fusebox. They say things like "10 amp" and "20 amp." So 30 isn't THAT much more...right?

It gets better. Your bike is running, you've zoomed it up to 2000 rpm to increase the stator output, and flipped on your farkle. For whatever reason, the maximum load condition is reached. You've got 405 watts of farkle yanking on your stator. Your voltage drops to 10.2 volts. Suddenly, your 405 watt farkle is drawing 38.5 AMPs. There are pretty sparkles in the air. Take pictures.

This worst case scenario is very pessimistic, and is intended more as a guide to consider the problem, and reminder to be very cautious. If the farkle runs on a 1000RR, I'm sure it can be powered off an XX. Just proceed with caution and sensibilty so you can take pictures of it working.

I get a little confused on the number things- math was never my strong point. I did do enough of it to find out that the farkle box I put under the seat with 5 taps for accessories only needed a 30 amp relay and 10 amp fuses. No arguement with the number stamped on your farkle, but jeez, whataya got there? My power drops pretty good- to the point I had to buy a new battery to get absolutely reliable starts no matter what- with the driving lights, radar, HUD and XM. I don't think the stock electrical is up to your application, personally, but Joe's alot more tech oriented than I am. I got a direction to go from some of the more knowledgable guys on the site, and then farted around with it until I got it right. Went through a bunch of fuses, and that was with being as careful as I could be, and getting more tech advice from an electrician in the family. All in all, I'm not sure it will take it without an otherwise perfect system- i.e. perfect battery, non-worn stator, etc, and you may make it a non-perfect system trying to put this on. But that's based on experience, not science. Good luck, and post up what it is, you've got us all interested now. :icon_wink:

Well being the wise person I am not. I did not add this new toy of mine to the bike. I will just go ahead and add it to my truck. I know it will work there.

The new farkle was a set of airhorms. :icon_duh: made for regular vehicles.

I was only going to add them for shits and giggles for the upcoming Ride for Kids in Richmond. I rode in the past couple yrs. so has GriffXX.

figure it would be something get a few laughs out of. So I guess I will jsut stick to wearing my lucifer fuzz hat :icon_cool:

Well being the wise person I am not.

(voice inside head) Leave it alone, Doug. You like Dave......! :icon_lol:

I think you could have handles those. In fact, someone (probably Warchild) has them installed. Do a search. Those only draw in a quick burst. They CAN be done. Someone post up as I know they have been done around here.

As for the R4K, stick around me and Mrs. GriffXX this year. We'll be on the 'Wing, and I tell you what, that thing has a horn. It sounds like a damn truck compared to the little squeek that most sportbikes have.

Well being the wise person I am not.

(voice inside head) Leave it alone, Doug. You like Dave......! :icon_lol:

I think you could have handles those. In fact, someone (probably Warchild) has them installed. Do a search. Those only draw in a quick burst. They CAN be done. Someone post up as I know they have been done around here.

As for the R4K, stick around me and Mrs. GriffXX this year. We'll be on the 'Wing, and I tell you what, that thing has a horn. It sounds like a damn truck compared to the little squeek that most sportbikes have.

Well just for testing I hooked it up and tried it on my lawn tractor. No I didn't attach it to my tractor :icon_rolleyes: I just touched the wires to the battery. Then fuckers be loud with your head 2 foot away from them in my basement :icon_eek::icon_biggrin:

I might do some more searching, and see if I can find some actual airhorns for a bike.

No big deal. Just something I thought would be funny as hell.

Hey Doug, you will probably be tired of me after the ride for kids. You have to put up with me all weekend before in WVA, and then again the next Saturday :icon_lol:

I was going to do the same thing, but I couldn't find a place to mount the horns and compressor. A friend of mine mounted them on his Bandit. Tight squeeze, but it worked and nothing has burned up yet.

I have them on my Nissan pickup now. It wakes people up :icon_eek:

Guest rockmeupto125

That's not a problem. If you wire it straight from the battery and use the standard horn to power the relay, you shouldn't have any difficulty electrically for just short bursts from the horn. If you were overdrawing at highway speed, you'd feel the bike slow down. I had some type of sustained draw in mind, like heating a tent or something of that sort.

Being that they're air horns, and will be operated in short bursts few and far between (right??), I would not worry too much about that 40A relay. You should be fine. If it was a pair of 200W KC driving lights pulling a constant 400 watts all the time, that's a completely different story.

....and will be operated in short bursts few and far between (right??)...

I wouldn't be so sure. It's Dave, wearing his Lucifer Ears, at a charity Ride 4 Kids event.

I'm thinking he's planning on some evil! :icon_evil:

The WV ride should be great. It better be, as I'm already getting pressure from the wife for a riding weekend over Memorial Day weekend.

Whil ein WV, maybe you can take those airhorns, sneek up on some Hardley-Ableson boys heading up to Rolling Thunder, and scare the shit out of them.

Go ahead and put the airhorn on. It will be fine.

Consider that the airhorn is just an electric motor, although much smaller than the electric motor that your bike is designed to power, i.e. the starter.

The aternator is ok with recharging the battery after the starter runs, it will not be any different after the horn or any other system momentarily draws down the battery.

The alternator rating is relevant when adding up constant power loads.

Mike

I've got one of these 139 db farkles

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/539

How do you like it.??

Funny how in the thread they boldly say.. Mount the unit with the cylinder vertical and the horn facing down.or else the unit will not work after some time..... And in the install picks they have the cylinder horizontal with the horn facing sideways..

I want one of these.. think it will fit in the stock horn position??

or tucked in behind one of the side fairings..

I've got one of these 139 db farkles

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/539

How do you like it.??

Funny how in the thread they boldly say.. Mount the unit with the cylinder vertical and the horn facing down.or else the unit will not work after some time..... And in the install picks they have the cylinder horizontal with the horn facing sideways..

I just installed mine yesterday it in the rear of my tail section, with the "outlet" kinda facing the side of the bike. Hopefully it's loud enough to be heard over my "loud pipes save lives" exhaust. We'll see.

I hung this off the steering neck loosely so it moves with the forks. Its got some wear but works fine after 2 1/2 years. Stock horn position it will show below the Ram-Air vent. The horn is the size of a softball so the side fairing install woud be creative.

Go ahead and put the airhorn on. It will be fine.

...But I don't want you anywhere near me at the R4K!

Fine I see how it is. :icon_snooty:

I test fitted them underneath my tail section. They hide nicely, The compressor will takeup half the storage space I got under the seat. No big deal if I keep them on the bike as I use my saddle bags.

Will return