CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailers to Haul the Bird

• 3 months later...

I have used the Kendon single folding trailer and it is unbelievable. It trails like a much larger trailer and the bike rides smooth. Towed my blackbird for 900 miles on it with no problems. I reccomend that you buy a new one or at least a newer version because they have a larger tire and better wiring.

Grattan,Gingerman ? What Club do you ride with ? I do track days with NESBA and STT plus private club.

If that is for track days I would advise against "rail" trailer.You are gonna carry extra fuel,that stinky gas inside of a car is no fun.Plus tires,stands,etc.

Get someting with at least 13 inch wheels,those small ones will spin like crazy,risking wheel bearing failure.

Let me tell you,many times track activity continues also on your way home.

Not that I know that from personal experience,hmm,but Saab with turbo engine will top out at 118 mph while pulling flat bad 5X8 trailer with 2 bikes.

That is why I would go with bigger wheels.

What about Autobahn,that track is fun,close to home,STT will be there in 2 weeks,I`ll be there plus my track buddies,we all are very good looking,handsome guys. :icon_biggrin:

• 2 months later...

The little rail trailers have 1 big flaw. How do you keep the big upright while you tie it down?? No place for the side stand or any supplies.

I bought a used Kendon (very cheaply) and it is a nice trailer, but it has it's design flaws.

1. The tail section that swings up has no way to lock it in the down position. This prevents you from using it to tie-down the back of the bike in an outward pull like the front.

2. The tie-down brackets down the center of the trailer prevent you from carrying only one bike on center.

I would not want to carry my 1980 CBX on one side and nothing on the other. Sorta screws up the handling dynamics of the trailer. The only option is to put it slighly off center but then you can not use the center tie-downs.

3. The fenders are mounted to the axle stub and that means they are subjected to all the vibration that the tire sees. Sorta like a hard tail. I have had to reweld and modify the mounts to contend with it.

Well balanced 13" radial tires really help.

4. For reason # 3 I changed to LED taillights and added clearance lights to to the fronts of the fenders. It really helps to see where the trailer is at night. Also it shows the outside edge to oncoming cars. Nothing like meeting a small car at night and not seeing a trailer fender sticking out a foot.

The trailer works well behind my Mustang GT. I pushed an Tenn. State Trooper Crown Vic across part of the Gap for about 2 miles until he pulled off. I had to be easy going into the corners because if I was still on the brakes while I started to turn, the trailer wanted to push the car sideways.

IPB Image

Good Lord -- I KNOW why they call you "CrazyDave"!!! It's that clean looking old Kwak. Bad enough to ride one of those things in stock form with its micro-wide power band, but I can only imagine how ruthlessly the power comes on with a friggin' turbo on it. :icon_eek:

Kinda like: learn very fine throttle control OR ELSE!!! :icon_clap:

EDIT: I misread -- I thought that was a 750cc H3 that was turboed (never heard of it, but I suppose there are ways) that was listed as other bikes. Still -- very clean Kwak in the picture (the 500 cc 2 stroke?).