CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oddometer error...

EVLXX

Odometer error is pressent on every vehicle...

But how far off is the Bird?

And

Just how would you arrive at a correction factor, in other words what would you use ase a bench mark?

Some thoughts....

GPS might be great..... as long as you drove in a perfectly straight line.

Or - The Streets and Trips program might be usefull... but just how accurate is it?

If I measured off a mile with one of those wheels.... I wonder how accurate that would be?

Thoughts?

Eric,

I used my Garmin GPS on my '03 Bird and found the speedometer to read 9.25% higher than actual speed. However, the ODOMETER read only 2% higher than actual. If a unit is installed to correct the speedometer, then trade-off is that the odometer will read about 7% lower than actual.

Ya... I don't care so much about the spedo as I do about the Odometer.

I'm trying to acurately figure out my gas mileage, so I have to have an acurate odometer correction factor.

Currently I was using a 3% correction.

I've got another buddy here that I just got off the phone with... he has been doing mileage stuff hardcore for the last 15+ years, and He just gave me a route he uses as a benchmark. A 13 mile section of road that's really only 12.95.

I'm going to go run it and see what I get.

Once fast and once slow, just to see if tire expansion has any effect on it either. :D

I am not to concerned about my speedo or odo accuracy for gas mileage.

if you want your gas mileage that accurate then you better also take into concideration of air temp, pressure, humidity, tire pressure, and even drag of you sitting on the bike just tooling along or you tucked in.

highway mile markers are very exact. Stop at one, then zero out your trip ODO, then go to the mile marker five miles away. That sould tell you how far off you are. you'll have to do a little math, but I think you get the idea.

B

Not all speedometers are off, my Acura reads dead-on, so does my ladies LExus. Both my bikes (Honda's) are @7% optimistic on the speed but accurate on the odometer as calibrated on my GPS. My BMW and Porsche were also off about 7%... quite common for most vehicles...

My question, with those do-dads that recalibrate your speedometer does it not then screw up your odometer being they are running on the same cable or sensor?

Having run a GPS for the last 20k or so, with a few 1000+ mile days in there, I can tell you my odo is off .75 - 1.25%, the range could probably be attributed to different tires/pressure, ect.

As someone already said, with all the other variables it's not far enough off to be an issue.

Well my aim is to be able to tell you all just how many miles to the gallon I will have got, when I return from Idaho.

With that said... I have a friend, as already mentioned that's been Hard... no insane at it for 15+ years now. So I trust his measurement over everybody else.He gave me a section of road yesterday with 2 very specific start and stop points. Today I road it.... twice.

I now have a correction factor of .9737, that's close enough for me. :D

I plan on doing about 3000 miles... so if I had not of figured this out, my numbers could have been off by some 80 miles. :roll:

I now have a correction factor of .9737, that's close enough for me.

I plan on doing about 3000 miles... so if I had not of figured this out, my numbers could have been off by some 80 miles.

That's some interesting math, how did you get an 80 mile correction in 3000 miles with a correction factor of .9737?

Why is it so hard to just make that damn thing work right??  you know with all the other things that have to be 'precision' you'd think the speedo on these bikes, or anything else, would be spot on, ,,,,, aside from aftermarket tinkering.

I remember reading someone's guess that this is due to liability concerns on the part of manufacturers if the motorcycle is modified (i.e. gearing), thereby changing an otherwise accurate speedometer. In this litigious day and age, that would seem a likely concern, at least in part.

I now have a correction factor of .9737, that's close enough for me.

I plan on doing about 3000 miles... so if I had not of figured this out, my numbers could have been off by some 80 miles.

That's some interesting math, how did you get an 80 mile correction in 3000 miles with a correction factor of .9737?

Wellll Eeeeexxxxcccccccccccuuuuuuuuusssssseeee ME.

Here...

3000 multiplied by .9737 is 2921.1

3000 minus 2921.1 is 78.9

Happy Now?

I was off by 1.1 :roll:

:P