CBR1100XX.org Forum

My house project

tvking

Long story I'll try to keep short. I bought an unfinished house on an incredible piece of property. Almost 7 acres, some wooded, over 1200ft of creek frontage, out in the sticks. The house sits 800ft off the road. No need for curtains on the windows. :icon_cool:

The house is a ranch w/ a walk out basement. The basement was finished in tired 70's decor. The main floor was dried in w/ ext. walls and roof but little else. The house had been just a basement for 15 years w/ a flat roof before the main level was framed up.

Since I've been here, I've updated the basement so I don't feel like I'm living in a Shaft movie, and thoroughly changed the exterior. I added on in a couple places and moved the garage. The garage was quite an undertaking. I cut it loose from the house and moved it 10ft to the right as viewed from the ft of the house and cut 2ft off the bottom to make it shorter. I was just getting ready to start on the interior upstairs when I had the accident. A least this gave me the opportunity to revise my floor plan to accommodate the chair. Now the upstairs is being worked on by friends, volunteers, and myself. It's slow going but I hope to be living up there by spring some time.

Pre accident I did everything myself except for the concrete flatwork.

This is what it looked like when I started.

5717717954_1dcf8677ec_o.jpg

Now.....

5717718194_c7d6b48519_o.jpg

In between....

5717161395_5c963f706d_o.jpg

5717161733_92378946b1_o.jpg

Upstairs original....

5717161963_116e68c3b7_o.jpg

5717727004_745b586707_o.jpg

5717162309_9748a42180_o.jpg

Interior so far.....

5717806870_94e570c48e_o.jpg

5717807878_67a06a82bb_o.jpg

5717777708_6ae95bec75_o.jpg

5717766180_5ddcb2d4e9_o.jpg

5717767002_ce61e9c931_o.jpg

Way cool bro...

Great transformation! The exterior is amazing...

Must be frustrating to not be able to do everything yourself like before. I get SO much enjoyment remodeling my house.

Lookin great though... I love winter for the fact that it gives me LOTS of time to work on the house without feeling guilty about not being out riding or boating/drinking

I put in 10 more new windows last weekend. My house is SOOO much warmer. No more drafts... Uniform warmth everywhere I go in the house instead of warm by the thermostat, and cold spots elsewhere.

Nice!

That's a pritty awsome transformation, Good Job.

I'm still alittle confussed as to why you shortend the garage, although I have to admitt it does look better now.

I had big plans for the house we are in, wanted to build a Sun Room on the back and build a large Family room on top of the Garage, but with the wife not working......

Maybe in a couple years when the kid starts school and the wife can go back to work full time.

Are you a carpenter by trade or hobby?

What no Power Blocks?

What no Jim-Dandies? :nono:

(Rafter Corner Braceing)

38239235.jpg

Nice Fan by the way.... I'm still trying to get one of those myself. (Free of coarse)

38071873.jpg

And where are your "Tornado clips"?

That top plate doesn't joint within 4' of that window does it?

It's funny how Codes differ so much from state to state.

Oh and put some leg supports on those Horses. ( 1x4's across the bottom work great)

What no Power Blocks?

What no Jim-Dandies?

(Rafter Corner Braceing)

Nice Fan by the way.... I'm still trying to get one of those myself. (Free of coarse)

And where are your "Tornado clips"?

It's funny how Codes differ so much from state to state.

Oh and put some leg supports on those Horses. ( 1x4's across the bottom work great)

Sounds like you got yourself an expert volunteer Todd!!!

:lol:

You know I would volunteer if I lived closer. :grin:

And that would be EXXExpert to you bub. :lol:

Shit, the bad thing is I have already forgoten most of the codes around here. :oops: Those were just some of the easy ones.

Must be frustrating to not be able to do everything yourself like before.

Yes, it is. I have a lot of control issues and being in the chair makes me face them every day.

I'm still a little confused as to why you shortened the garage, although I have to admit it does look better now.

The upstairs has 10ft ceilings and the trusses extend out over the garage. But the garage floor is 2ft lower that the house floor. That made the garage walls 12ft tall. As you can see from the "Before" pic it has quite a warehouse look. I thought bringing down the scale by shorting it and bumping out the front helped a lot.

Are you a carpenter by trade or hobby?

Hobby. Like to do everything I can myself. Remember the control issues? :icon_wink:

Power blocks? One thing I've learned is construction nomenclature and codes are very regional. If your talking about blocking between the trusses, it's not required. I've got the tornado clips, I'm just a little too short to put them up............

I've got a couple of those fans. They move some serious air.

Um, er, well............Shhhhhhhhhhh :icon_naughty:

Is this the bracing you were looking for? :icon_wink:

5717257999_b16e547eca_o.jpg

5717825488_ee5d3e222c_o.jpg

Hey Todd..... Are you done with the remodel / rebuild on the inside?

Nope. It looks just like it does in the pics. Just took the truss bracing pics this morning. When should I expect you? Waiting on my plumbing-HVAC man to get time to do the rough ins.

Hobby. Like to do everything I can myself. Remember the control issues? :wink:

Yep.... I'll say it again, you impress the shit out of me every time you post something like this, and I have the same Control Issues, I love helping others, but when it comes to my projects.... I want it done my way... period, which often means I will do it myself without asking for help.

I'm just a little too short to put them up............

I read this comment and thought..." Not many people could measure up to your shadow..... to short..... Ha. "

I've got a couple of those fans. They move some serious air.

It's a furnace fan right? Ya they move a boat load of air, and they don't sound like an Prop Plane is parked in your house either.

Is this the bracing you were looking for? :wink:

Actually No, but maybe it serves the same purpose. We / I used to put a corner cross brase on top of the lower stringer from outside wall to outside wall, whenever the wall or walls extended more than 15' without an interior wall to brace it. I just never liked the thought of haveing the ceilling drywall supporting the corner. I would always put them in and put in the Gable braceing as well. But , like I said you probably don't have to have them.... I can't really tell from my house.

When should I expect you?

Man.... It would be an honor to work with you, ( Seriously ), and I really wish you didn't live so far away. ( Where the F*** is Indiana anyways? :oops: Just kidding ) but with all of my own Family problems... well you know what I mean... If I was a single guy.... I'ld take a 2 week Vacation, grab my tool belt and be there.

But until something in my life gives..... I'll just have to suffice to trying to help from the other end of this keypad.

One last question.... I noticed you are insullating and installing the flooring in one of those pics after you already have the walls up, Is that a normal practice out there?

Around here you always put the walls on top of the flooring.

Yep, furnace fans.

One last question.... I noticed you are insullating and installing the flooring in one of those pics after you already have the walls up, Is that a normal practice out there?

No, it's not. The insulation is there because right now the basement is heated and the main level is not. The subfloor is missing because in the 15 years it had a flat roof on the basement, it leaked enough to do serious damage to the 5/8 non T&G plywood that was there. I replace it all w/ 3/4 T&G, glued and screwed.

It's a manufactured stone veneer. A little bit of a learning curve to putting it up, but I think I did OK.

The ft door is being replace with one with side lights and a transome window across the top. Then that wall will be covered w/ stone too.

In this pic you can also see that the garage is now 2ft lower thatn the house.

5717834824_0ec0a715c1_o.jpg

Looks great Todd. I read the description of the land and was thinking hell yeah...thats perfect.

Then I saw the first pic as though hmm...I guess its OK.

Scroll to the after pic...man that shit looks GOOD, yo.

Fantastic transformation. Sounds like the perfect place out in the woods.

It's a manufactured stone veneer. A little bit of a learning curve to putting it up, but I think I did OK.

Write up!!!!

I'm thinking of doing some fake-stone on the inside of my house. (there's a square partition that that the heating duct and furnace/water-heater exhaust run-up that I want to make look like a real chimney with stone.

Its about a 3'x4' 4-sided 'wall'

Does the stone go up first, and then you cement/grout in between the stone?

Write up!!!!

Don't have any 'in progress' pics. Sorry.

First you staple up 30 pound felt paper to protect the substrate. Then nail up wire lath that is similar heavy chicken wire. This is to give the mortar something to grab on to. This is covered by a coat of mortar. You want to force it down into the lath so it gets a good bite. Let this set until it stiffens some.

The stones are flat on the back and about 3'' thick. W/ a mason's trowel, back butter each stone and stick it on the wall, starting maybe 1'' high and sliding the stone down into position. This helps adhesion and fills some of the gap between to stones w/ mortar. For corners there are "L" shaped stones that wrap around the corner to give the illusion of full depth stones.

Next you grout between the stones, using a grout bag. Once this set a little, rake the joint to make everything look nice. When the mortar is quite stiff, hit everything w/ a small, relatively still bristle brush to remove all the crumblies.

Stand back and admire your work! peepwall.gif

How did you Move and Shorten the Garage Walls....

Did you jack up the Roof rafters and cut the top of the walls, or did you cut the bottom, or what?

I cut off the bottom. We used 8 floor jacks and just rolled it over, then cut off the bottom of the walls.

5717841582_47b096ddde_o.jpg

5717842274_d9fa16c1bd_o.jpg

5717842746_a65dee3d7c_o.jpg

5717843036_7b3eb5cb0d_o.jpg

cut off the bottom. We used 8 floor jacks and just rolled it over, then cut off the bottom of the walls.

What was the purpose of lowering? Just looks or what? Looks awesome btw, I am sooo jealous.